Friday, October 9, 2009

Getting Out A Bit


On Wednesday I over did it a bit but at least I enjoyed myself in the process! I went with two other girls to the Fabric Market and we took public transportation to get there so it took us a while to actually reach our destination. The Fabric Market is inside a big ol dirty building and there are different floors jam packed with row after row after row of hodge podge fabrics. I had a lot of fun looking at all of the different fabrics and the prices were pretty good too. I just got a couple of things for the projects that the kids are making each other for Christmas.

What will probably always stick out in my mind from this trip however, is the little adventure Ander and I took to the restroom when he blew out his diaper. By now I've dealt with many a blowout in Motherhood but this one has to be at the top of the Most Impressive Blowouts list. Seriously. There was literally nothing in the diaper, it was all in the leg of his outfit. In the grungiest bathroom ever there was only a slanting stainless steel slab coming out of the wall for me to change him on. With one hand I tried to clean off the slab with a disinfectant wipe while precariously holding a very soiled child with the other. All of the clean up had to be done with one hand as well since the slab was slanted and I couldn't let go of Ander. The whole scene was so absurd it was kind of amusing. Kind of. Anyway, I think I've learned you can never be too prepared here, BYOE (Bring Your Own Everything) seems to apply most places we go.
Our trip was cut short because I had to get to Mutual and by the end of the night I was absolutely exhausted and knew I had probably attempted too much. It is stressful going places and coordinating feedings etc. with a new babe, I had kind of forgotten all of that.

Yesterday I got my first ride on a scooter with Carrie- try not to panic Mom and Dad. She is the Bishop's wife and she is the coolest. Mother of 6 and Taiwan resident for 15 years- she knows her stuff. She reminds Nathan and I of a mix between Rosie and Tara which is fun. She took me on a 'drive about' to show me around TianMu and show me the Import stores, Dr.'s offices, good places to eat, where to get your hair cut, etc. We had an awesome time- plus I now understand why everyone drives scooters here. It's not even funny how convenient they are. Parking is a nightmare anywhere you go... that is unless you've got a scooter- then you can literally park anywhere, sidewalk, street, pretty much wherever. You get to go to the front of the line at red lights which is nice and the streets are so incredibly narrow for cars but we zipped in and out of them with no problem. It was glorious and I'm thinking I need one just to run errands. Don't start worrying yet though, riding with an experienced scooter driver and driving myself are two very different things. It was a really fun 3 hours and I feel like I know TianMu so much better now.

And finally we have this little guy. Overall he has been a great eater/sleeper and we've only had a few mornings where I've woken up feeling like a zombie. Something unique to Ander is his burps. I know, weird but seriously he has man burps. It is so strange to hear such a loud thing coming out of such a little guy. His siblings think it's fantastic and laugh their heads off when they hear him- right before they commence badgering me for who gets to hold him first. Between the children, Nathan and I it's a wonder he ever gets to lay down without being held. He doesn't seem to mind though.
We are looking forward to General Conference this weekend, they do it a week later because of the time difference. To watch it live we would have watched late Sunday night and Monday morning so they shift it to the following weekend and all of Taiwan will watch it together. Should be nice.

8 comments:

The Crowley's said...

you are being so adventurous. Good for you- you new babe is precious!

Tara Pugmire said...

Oh Erin I sit here wishing I could have a scooter too! You get one and I will come and teach you how to ride like a crazy woman! Glad bishop's wife is there to break you in. Fabric store looked way fun, but a little over whelming. Where to start? Miss you!

Sorenson family trio said...

Wow! Good for you for geting out. The scooter ride sounds like a blast. Glad you are doing well. Your baby is so cute. Congratulations.
Gina

Hannah said...

Aaron had a man burp too! Everytime I heard one, I had to ask Sam if it was him or the baby...so funny.

That looks like the thrift store of fabric stores. I think I would be totally lost! I'm someone who really enjoys seeing things coordinated in colorful rows with pretty displays--I'm every marketers dream because I fall right into the pattern they want me too. You are superwoman!

Erik & Marcie +3 said...

That's so great you were able to get out. Why is it that blow-outs always happen at the most inconvenient times?! Glad you made it through, and you look GREAT!!!

Kristin said...

That fabric store looks like I could get in a lot of trouble! I am so glad that you are getting out and enjoying your new home. Love the photos of Ander, your children are so beautiful :) (P.S. My mom loves her scooter)

Allison said...

I'm so glad she took you around, that is so helpful! Ken and I both just got bikes for errands and stuff, although maybe I need to upgrade to the scooter. :-) Good job getting out with the fam, mom of 4! Seriously, I am so impressed with you! Ander could not be any cuter.

Nicole said...

So, I hope you don't mind, I'm going to steal your fabric market pictures. Funny thing--I had totally planned on taking pictures that day, but was so engrossed in the fabric selection I completely forgot. Come to find out both you and Sally had snuck a couple while we were there--unbeknownst to me. Also, it makes me really sad you had such a hard day--again, I was oblivious. I'm such a bad friend. Sorry. I'm glad you came though.

lllllll