Thursday, October 22, 2009

Kennedy's 7th Birthday

Kennedy's 7th Birthday was a great one. She had really been looking forward to showing off her baby brother to her class when we brought in cupcakes for her birthday, that was an easy request to fill. Check!
And yes, I find it ironic that Kennedy is one of the only Western kids in her class and she attends an "American" school. But thats a rant for another day...
Kenna's swimming section for P.E. started on her birthday as well and so her school day pretty much couldn't have been better. She was extremely excited to swim at school.
The one thing Kenna really wanted to do was to go back to Yu Kids Island and so after school that is where we headed. Nathan and I watched the kids play and totally wear themselves out for about an hour. With Nathan's help Aly figured out how to ride the coconuts rather than get pummeled by them. I might have been bitter he ended such a great source of entertainment.
I was making Kennedy's pinata and Nathan, trying to help, set the still damp balloon covered in paper mache' outside to speed the drying process. It wasn't a particularly hot day but apparently hot enough because the balloon inside expanded and literally exploded the whole thing. Thus the scramble started to come up with another pinata. I ended up wrapping a box like a present for the pinata and put it with the rest of her presents. She was surprised because she had seen the mangled pinata and had been bummed out and didn't suspect the camouflaged present pinata.
I could say the obvious, "feels like only yesterday" and "I can't believe she's already 7" but if you are a parent you already know how you feel each year on your child's birthday. Your heart is full and simultaneously heavy. Mostly full though.
Kennedy has many qualities that I admire, not the least of which is her ability to bounce awake at dawn's early light, casting off the remnants of sleep in the blink of her wide awake eyes. Maybe it's my lack of bounce in the morning these days that makes me think of this one.
She is also very thoughtful. A quick example: a girl in her class has a severe peanut allergy (Asia would be a scary place to have one I have to say) and so this little girl can't eat treats brought in so Kennedy wrote her a note and gave her a sheet of stickers instead.
She is a great big sister, always willing to read stories to her siblings- and a daughter that a mom and dad couldn't be more proud to have. Happy 7th Birthday Kennedy Jolee!

6 comments:

Big R said...

Happy Birthday Kennedy!

Ky"sa" said...

Happy Birthday Kenna!!!! Spencer really misses you and wishes you a happy b-day too! We love you!

Kysa and family

Anonymous said...

She is such a pretty girl. I can tell she is proud of Ander. The pic of you 3 is quite adorable (love the baby wrap- where did u get it?). Happy Birthday Kennedy!
- Rachel

ej said...

It's called a Moby Wrap, I LOVE it. You can wrap it a bunch of different ways and it distributes the weight well so it doesn't hurt my back like even the bjorn does. It holds the babies nice and tight and they love it. Ander can't seem to stay awake when he's in it, lol

The Crowley's said...

Happy Birthday Kenna!!
We love you very much!

Bonnie said...

It was so fun to see the pictures of the day that Kennedy so vividly described to me on her birthday. She did an amazing job of outlining each detail. After our conversation, Norm said, "Wow, that was incredible!" I am happy that she had a great day.

lllllll