Sunday, October 4, 2009

Rejecting Tradition

When it comes to post-partum there are a lot of Chinese traditions that go on. One is no cold anything- only warm water or tea to drink, warm food and clothes etc. It is traditional for the women to have one month of rest and usually their moms come to help take care of other responsibilities. They are not to wash their hair for 1 month, and they have special soups every day for 30 days as well. They are very serious about all of these things. Consequently I have been told all about them by many an Asian for instance when I was talking to a worker who came by, I was freshly showered though still sporting damp hair and bare feet, busted!

There is a really nice Taiwan guy who oversaw the workers who moved us in and then referred us to the carpenter who made us a bed (we brought our mattresses and figured we'd buy a frame here, however there are none that will fit our mattresses. They generally don't use box springs here, just a mattress so we were kind of stuck till this carpenter came along and whipped out a nice bed frame for us, turned out great).
Anyway, the nice guy came with when the carpenter delivered the bed and when he saw that Ander had been born he whipped out a traditional Red Envelope and insisted on giving our little babe his first hong bao- a sign of congratulations and good luck with the color red being to ward off evil spirits. He gave him 600 NT (about $20) but the 6 is important as they consider it a very lucky number. He insisted on giving it to Ander himself which was cute. (notice the Red Envelope in the pic above)
You may notice the pink seat Ander is in. Our dear friends gave it to us (they have two girls, hence the color) and though I planned on putting a blanket over the pink, after the way he rocked all that pink in the hospital I figured it wouldn't hurt for him to do it at home. He's always pretty content in the seat so I figure the pink ain't botherin him.
Now this second picture I feel super grossed out and equally guilty about. Our original realtor who we love and have become friends with here spent time and money to prepare some traditional soup for me. Blessedly she didn't make the other kind which has pig kidney in it, she figured that might be too much for my sensitive-to-all-things-Chinese palate. She figured right. However, this soup which is made with no water but some sort of alcohol as it's base (she says the alcohol cooks out, but I'm thinking, no wonder these Asian babies are so nice and sleepy their first month!) and then aged ginger, and boney chicken giblets and a few other things I couldn't understand. It was SO kind of her to make this for me, it is to help the mothers body heal and help with your milk supply (but so does water, I can't help but think) and it was just plain thoughtful. In spite of her generosity I could not bring myself to even try it. I know! I'm terrible right? I just couldn't do it! It smelled so strong and gross... I feel seriously guilty but I just couldn't do it. I'm not Chinese so they can't make me...right?

8 comments:

Ky"sa" said...

Hee, hee, hee!! You are so funny! I don't blame you though - pure alcohol as a base for soup. Aye - yie- yie, strong stuff. I guess she'll never have to know, right. Make Nathan eat it. LOL! I am missing seeing you and your kiddies! :( ps. thanks for the e-mail and I will write back asap. I had a lot of questions that I need to answer. ;)

Love ya,
Kysa

Tara Pugmire said...

love hearing bout those traditions! Aren't you glad that she did not wait around to watch you eat the soup. Good thing that helping the new mothers eat the soup is not a tradition as well! Looked pretty bad.

Jody said...

I couldn't have tried the soup either.....very sweet of her, but it does look pretty bad. I think I'd have to reject most if not all those traditions as well- not washing your hair for 30 days? I don't think so!!!!

The Crowley's said...

i think you need to take nathan up on the month recovery thing! Ander looks so dang cute- we need more pictures!

hf said...

He's so cute! I love that picture! He certainly is Rockin the pink :)

As for the traditions and such...no wonder you miss home so much - whatever happened to chicken-noodle? Guess it's not Chinese enough, right? Hang in there!

Marianne and Brad said...

Erin don't worry...I wouldn't eat that soup either! bleh!

Anonymous said...

love it! and that little man is so handsome. when harrison was a few months old, will had some employees that were in town from india come over for dinner and they immediatlely gave harrison money, in each hand. i came out to see my little baby holding money {super clean} looking all mac daddy. they said it's tradition that when you first see a baby, you give them to wish them good fortune...love it. that's one i can handle, the soup...not soo much :>

Hannah said...

I love the honesty! No reason to force yourself to eat something you won't enjoy. And, Ander totally rocks the pink. Since Aaron likes to mimic his older sister, I often hear him requesting the "pink" plate, because it's what Erica always wants. I'm not too worried ;)

lllllll