Shortly after Ander turned 9 months he started walking. I guess it's only 3 months I feel ripped off from the immobility I could've still been enjoying, but the kid is bright and healthy so I shouldn't complain, nevertheless... Our house is not baby proofed, and thanks to Taiwan quirks/oversight/indifference we have an extra layer needed to secure our home.
Take the stairs for example. On the third story up there is a gaping, and I mean gaping opening in the railing. The above shot shows how if someone was as unlucky as this doll was- and fell through the gap, it's fully two stories down before you meet the hardwood floor. This is typical in most houses we saw when house hunting. The railings would often be short, about the height of my hips, and then the spindles are spaced quite far apart. Most people I know buy netting that they tie across the spindles for safety. Thankfully our banister is higher and because of the glass there are fewer gaps to worry about. But what an impressive gap it is. Right now we have some temporary safety measures in place -velcro, is surprisingly strong. I had Kennedy hold Ander by the stairs to illustrate the problem clearly.
Besides the plethora of oddly placed plug ins right at a toddler's eye level, several dozen unforgiving wooden stairs, and plenty of bite sized toy parts/bugs hanging around, I guess there isn't too much to worry about.
Besides the plethora of oddly placed plug ins right at a toddler's eye level, several dozen unforgiving wooden stairs, and plenty of bite sized toy parts/bugs hanging around, I guess there isn't too much to worry about.Ander just turned 11 months old, he has now perfected his walking skills to the point that he practically runs from place to place. He still loses his balance a fair amount though but pops right back up without skipping a beat. I continually underestimate his abilities, he is learning so much faster than I give him credit for. I've had to take the knobs off of the oven, and push things further back on the table/counters because he has go-go gadget arms. He long since discovered the toilet- I found him the other day happily watching his handy work, a new roll of toilet paper soaking up fresh pee water in the toilet, clapping his hands all the while.
Here is a video to show a smidge of the walking...
And then a clip of Nathan trying to change Ander's clothes while the babe does an uncanny pig squeal impression, and I get busted at the end.
I know each child is different, but I don't remember wrestling with my other children like this until they were closer to 18 months?
Lastly, I have to say Ander is a happy, HAPPY boy* (*Unless you try to change his diaper or his clothes). He is pretty darn patient with his siblings "playing" with him and doesn't seem to get too upset when he can't figure something out, he just tries over and over until he succeeds. Who knows if his determination will remain so strong as he gets older, but for now it seems to serve him pretty well.
And did I mention he's a mama's boy? yeah, I love that part.



9 comments:
I told you it was just starting when you where here. It is so hard before they understand what they really should and shouldn't do. Hang in there
Love the fix to the stairs. Ander is as cute as ever and getting so big!!!
OMG seeeeester! Look at him go, I can't believe it! He really IS a mover and a shaker ;)
Miss you guys
xoxoxoxo
Beeg
Okay, so I loved the cheerios on the ear. Definately needs a snack for later. But . . . did you see the cheerio going down his shirt. It reminds me of a certain someone with a certian cheeto!!!! :) Does that spark any memories?!
Okay I love Aly's little lamb baby and her sweet make believe play in the background. Angel! And it really freaks me out watching Ander zoom around like that, clapping for himself and everything!
Taiwan houses take danger to a new level! Good luck with your new safety measures. And, I think Ander totally looks like Kohen in that close up shot. So cute!
BTW--beautiful new family picture. You look stunning as always.
Okay those stairs are just scary! I can't believe how big Ander is getting!
"Picture or videoing?" The look on Nathan's face looks like Ander getting his clothes changed! :) What a wiggle worm. He's walking like a pro and so early. Love that he's a mama's boy!
Rachel
I love your unsafe housing problems! I mean, it makes me laugh to see we´re not the only ones wondering how in the world people thought of some of these wierd house designs and didn´t consider the fatal potential they possess. I can´t believe Aly is in Kindergarten! Is she really that old already?
Post a Comment