
We have a sliver of a backyard with a 30 ft jungle covered wall on one side and the back side of our house on the other. Because of the house the backyard is shaded most of the day which creates a slightly cooler atmosphere for the kids to play in. That and the fact that I don't have to slather them from head to toe with Sunblock (The UV index in Taiwan is very high and very dangerous most days from May through August) makes this a fun place to play.

On this scalding midmorning I discovered my little crew of artists were giving the backyard a makeover. And yes, that is like a wool beanie Kohen is wearing, it's his favorite. He wasn't taking it off. Anyway, they painted away for literally hours. I checked on them often and had them keep hydrated, but I am telling you, in this heat there really is just nothing that helps if you have to be in it.

Sweat beading down their bright red faces doesn't seem to phase them, at least not enough to come in. And that my friends is where I draw the line. I go inside to bask in the glorious A/C and keep an eye on them from the window.
So what, you may wonder, does one do when they need to exercise in such a hot and humid place. Simple answer? SUFFER.
I have recently started running a bit- infrequently- because exercising in the best of conditions is not my fave, so add Dante's inferno and imagine where my attitude goes (here's a hint *flush*).
The humidity is the killer. I looked it up on Wikipedia ergo I'm pretty much an expert. Normally our bodies cool us off by sweating, right? Well, humidity essentially disables your body from sweating properly, making it difficult -if not impossible- for your body to cool you off like it should.
I came home from running the other night and told Nathan that never before had I been so tempted to tear my clothes off in a public setting before. Seriously! It felt like I was suffocating and every where that cloth was touching my skin felt like when you stand too close to the camp fire- I just wanted it off! Possibly my skin too. I mean when you feel like you are burning from the inside out, somethings got to give.
I have never been one to blush or have much of a flushed face from exertion, but check out what I look like after my non-impressive run + 6-8 min drive home in a highly air conditioned car:

I heart humidity.
8 comments:
Ummmm... That is what you like after running? Hmmm... That is what I look like after getting groceries!
Kudos for running in that disgusting weather. :) Training for that marathon I see!
I love how your kids are painting the back yard. Makes me want to grab the paints and send them all out!
Ok Erin I probably should have not read this post. As if I am not worried enough about my run, just looking at you makes me more than a bit nervous! Please tell me it is going to be a lot cooler in two months, please! You are amazing for keeping it up in that weather!
oh the joys of running in Taiwan! Remember Oct is coming which means less humidity!!!
Not fair, I'm that red whether there is humidity or not! The last few days here the humidity has been unreal which I'm sure has nothing on how it is for you, so I hear ya. Will it at least let up once fall rolls around?
I feel your pain! We live in a very humid climate in St Louis and it's been a bad, hot summer on top of that. My running has been happening very early in the morning so that I don't die from heat stroke, but it sounds like you are suffering much worse over there. Best of luck and I hope it cools off soon.
I LOVE your family pictures. You all look just perfect. What a beautiful family you have created. We are overdue on ours and I hope to do it this next month. Good to catch up via blog!
I think you should wait until it cools down. Can't you do water arobics in your pool for exercise? It has got to be better than running and you can just walk into your house when you get tired and cool off in the AC. Be careful.
Aunt Cindy
Great job on running erin!! I can't believe you would even try to do it in that hummidity. Good job!! Your backyard looks like so much fun! Can I come play there?
lol!
Post a Comment