Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Sir Kohen's 6th Birthday

I was excited to enjoy Kohen enjoying his birthday this year. Then I came down with an ear infection and a sinus infection in my upper and lower sinuses. As all of you mom's out there know, there really is no such thing as a sick day- one of the biggest crimes against motherhood I say- and though Nathan did come home early the day before, I was really still struggling on Kohen's big day. I decided two main things had to happen for the day to work. First, I had to let go of about 30% of the decorating/playing/errand running I was going to do. Second I needed to grit my teeth and pushed through it.
It was worth it. I vacillated back and forth about whether or not to do a regular cake and stick a 6 on top or to do the dragon cake I had planned. At the very last second I went for it. Before you can see the picture please read the following.
DISCLAIMER: I could not find many of the suggested items for decorating the dragon. They do not exist in Taiwan. Wicked high humidity and frosting are not friends. In fact, they are enemies. I had to work quick. And lastly, I may have mentioned, I felt like crap. Thankfully, I made this cake expressly to impress my son and not my peers. I accomplished that, so what else matters right?

He was really into character for a while with his armor and the PB castle I got on clearance like 10 months ago (woot woot!) and his dragon cake. He made hilarious faces all night, it was classic.
This is the type of hug you get if you give Kohen a How To Train Your Dragon coloring book~

And the kind of face he makes when he is trying to show you his new lantern revealed something creepy- good chance of that at our house...
This puppet was a hit thanks to Nathan's antics with it. Kids think everything is funny. So good on the ol' self esteem, ha!
He blew out the candles and officially turned 6. Six years I have been blessed to have this child in my life.
See, I told you he loved the cake. It was worth all of the trouble, ten times over.
ps- We let the kids watch How To Train A Dragon for the first time for Kohen's birthday and they love it- how cute is that movie?!

13 comments:

Marianne and Brad said...

um, Erin, your cake was AWESOME!! I am jealous. Happy Birthday to Kohen, I remember when he was our little Konie and was two years old. Oh how the time flies! We miss you!

shellydinger said...

Super Mom! The party looks amazing! I especially love the picture of Nathan entertaining - perfectly timed. You have mad decorating skills, and I hope Beckett has as much personality as Kohen seems to have. He is hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Kohen. I think the cake looked awesome!!

Keeping Up w/The Carlsons said...

THAT'S what you look like when you're sick? That's annoying;) I'm so glad Kohen finally got his castle, I love that you captured all of his facial expressions!

Nicole said...

What are you talking about?! The cake turned out sooo super cute. Really. And the whole thing looks adorable too. Complete with a puppeteer. Love it. Kohen's faces are a killer. I absolutely adore how dramatic he is. Glad he had such an awesome birthday (thanks to such an awesome mom, of course). And yes, that movie is great; I was glad Jade kept somewhat entertained on the plane purely so I could watch it.

And weird... Kohen was born before Cody and I were married. It's our sixth today! Crazy.

Anonymous said...

Erin, you are the CAKE BOSS! I would pay for a cute cake like that! You are too pretty for feeling like crap. Kohen looks thrilled (he's so cute!) and the party was obviously a hit. I'm impressed with your and Nathan's skills!
Rachel

http://storyofparkfamily.blogspot.com said...

Erin..not sure what you are talking about...the cake is GREAT!!! its cute and dragony at the same time. Love all of Kohen's face expressions, he has a lot of charachters. YES, you did a awesome job for the party, look at the huge kiss he gave you.

The Crowley's said...

AWESOME cake!!!!!

Mike

Jana said...

You weren't trying to impress your peers, but you did. Officially impressed :)

Kay said...

Happpy Birthday Sir Kohen! Erin hope you are feeling better now and AWESOME cake--maybe I will make a copy for james' b-day in nov. hmmmm

Jessie said...

um who knew you were so cake decorating talented Erin! Wow love the awesome cake! Looks like a birthday fit for a knight!

Anonymous said...

That cake has W1N all over it! Amazing! I could do with one of Mom's Texas sheet cakes right about now... Or that red birthday plate or some poppy seed cake... Mmmm.

-Justin

Anonymous said...

What a crazy fun party. I can't believe he is six, where has time gone. He will always remember this birthday thanks to some awsome parents.

lllllll