Monday, December 6, 2010

Lantau and Big Buddha

 Our kids got a peek at Disney on our way out Thursday since the Metro from Disney is all Mickey-fied.
 The nicest metro train I've ever been on with lush couches and Mickey ear handles.
But we had to forget Disney for the time being, we were on our way over to see the Big Buddha, which is not the technical name but an accurate one. We met up with our friends and headed out on the long Gondola ride up the mountains to see Tian Tan Buddha.
You have to take a long, beautiful, ride on a gondola up and over to the mountain top with the Buddha.  Did I mention they have glass bottom gondolas?! It was freaking me out!!! We were so high up and all I could think was just, what if?
 But that didn't stop the kids from getting a closer look. And after the shock of it wore off it was hard to deny how beautiful and how cool it was. Much better than lame-o glass bottom boat rides Nathan and I have been on in say, Mexico.
At some point along the long ride I worked up the courage to take a picture myself...

You can see Big Buddha off in the distance...


All of my kids (but especially Aly) were excited to see their friend Jaydn again. She moved to HK almost 2 months ago and took her mom with her, much to my chagrin. That's right, I said it. Chagrin.
I'm aware this is Photography No No #1- shooting straight into the sun- but it's the only picture that shows even a few of the 268 stairs that must be climbed in order to see this massive statue.
This is most of the kids up with us Thanksgiving day, minus one little boy probably trying to avoid Aly, and Aly probably trying to find said boy. Aaand Kohen.
Kohen disappeared on us (for like the millionth time) and we couldn't find him anywhere up at the top. After searching and starting to get a little worried we discovered him nearly finished climbing back up the 268 steps. Where were you?! we asked. His answer? "I went down to get the bottled water out of the stroller to share with everyone." He had the right idea I guess, but really? Back down and back up all those stairs when you can buy water at the top?! Oh well, we were all sleep deprived that day and maybe not thinking clearly.
 Jaydn and her Daddy, and Aly with hers.
 And a family pic under the massive Tian Tan Buddha. We all hurried back to our hotels to change and get ready for Thanksgiving Dinner in downtown HK.

10 comments:

Marianne and Brad said...

That Gondola ride looks so scary, yet so awesome! Looks like you guys have been doing some pretty awesome things. We are jealous of you here in boring old Provo

shellydinger said...

I LOVE that family picture (even the back of Ander's head). Are you ever shocked when you look back through your blog to see all the adventures you have been on? Amazing stuff Erin. I can't wait to see what happened at Disneyland.

Nicole said...

Love the story about Kohen, even if I was there, still made me laugh again. And by the way, I love the pic with Aly, Kohen and Jadyn so, so much. Aaand you can copy all the pics you want off our blog or this picasa album: http://picasaweb.google.com/nicole.l.rowland/ThanksgivingWeekend?authkey=Gv1sRgCN_ezLuR_6GbswE#. I tried sending you an email with that link; not sure if it went through. There are a bunch with you and/or your kids in them. Also a couple, such as this one: http://picasaweb.google.com/nicole.l.rowland/ThanksgivingWeekend?authkey=Gv1sRgCN_ezLuR_6GbswE#5544033118515639762, of your family at the Christmas parade at Disney. Felt a little like the paparazzi, but it was the JENSENS so how could I not?

The Crowley's said...

just the pictures alone scare me of that ride, way to be brave. it very cool

Mandy said...

I'm in love with the Metro too. It looks like it should be a part of my kitchen. I love hearing about your adventures, and now waiting on pins and needles to hear about one of the Disney Parks that I haven't been too. Much love to your family this holiday!!

Sarah said...

How cool! Okay seriously you're making me want to live over there . . . AGAIN! I want to ride in a glass bottom gondola ride and don't even get me started on Disneyland. The only Disney I've ever been to was the Disney store. :(

Anonymous said...

The gondola pic are amazing. I am not sure I would not have had a what if moment myelf. Would love to see that and the giant Budha.
Aunt Cindy

hf said...

I can't believe you think the glass bottom gondola was so much better than the glass bottom boats in Mexico? Such extravagance! C'mon!

I love reading about your adventures! (wishing I could be with ya!)

Anonymous said...

Wow!! That was just an awesome adventure!! Poor Kohen...
Dad

Jessie said...

oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh..my legs got shaky and my stomach felt sick just looking at the glass bottom! You are brave!

lllllll