Saturday, February 26, 2011

Never Quite...Right

This picture is the perfect visual of expat life in Taiwan.
In the mood for some good ol Nachos? Too bad. This is as good as it gets.
I saw the real nacho cheese first and I was thinking, no way, real nachos? What are the chances that cheese isn't disgusting? Mmm, slim. But I decided what the heck, and ordered some.
Imagine my horror surprise when they loaded them up with Doritos.
What? Why?! I know there are tortilla chips on this island so why can't I have some with this (not so bad) cheese?! Where is the disconnect?
It's like they almost get it... but just not quite.
What don't they understand about the definition of Nachos being tortilla chips and cheese sauce? Did they think it was fine cuz they are the same shape? Or did some one think the cheesiness of the cheese sauce just wasn't enough? That using Doritos would take things to the proverbial next level?
Because it doesn't.
Not only does it not look right- therefore I was already prejudging on the taste- but the cheese sauce is almost canceled out by the taste of the Doritos.
THIS IS A CRIME AGAINST NACHOS, nay AMERICAN FOOD, even AMERICANS!

Moral of the story: Never get excited about comfort food from home (or anything). They don't "get it" here, therefore, neither do you.

10 comments:

shellydinger said...

Oh that is so sad. I remember Sheila and Amber making us something similar as kids. But they melted regular cheese on Doritos. It IS horrible. (I'd still rather eat this than your Christmas Dinner wrap from Disney)

bb said...

baaaahhhh ha ha ha, oh my sides have split. this is SO right on!! you have captured it, my friend. africa's answer to your dorito nachos are milkshakes: milk, shaken until frothy, and served at room temperature. yesssssss.

hf said...

eewww.

Nicole said...

Ok, that "they don't get it, so neither do you" comment honestly had me laughing out loud. Love it.

Cody

Sarah said...

Believe it or not, my husband actually likes that. He bought some doritos the other day and then bought the tostitos cheese sauce and went at it. I was appalled!

Rosemary said...

Nice, so many fun experiences!

Jessie said...

too funny!

Hokie Family said...

It definitely looked wrong!
It looks like I have alot to look forward to living over seas. We just have to finish paperwork and we will be on our way to Saipan, July 1st. That's closer to you. Might have to plan a visit. I think Saipan is more famous for eating alot of SPAM.

Ky"sa" said...

Okay okay, now that is some scary looking cheese sauce. It has like a greenish tint to it. Like some sort of gooberish look. I'm impressed you even gave it a taste test. I was cracking up with the doritos!!!! Haw!!! You're right, they just don't get it. :/

Tara Pugmire said...

Man all I can say is get your toosh home so we can get you some good old Nachos! Not to mention all the other stuff you will be loading up on when you get home!

lllllll