Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Taking a Knee



Clothes tend to be a bit of a problem for us living overseas. Generally you have two choices. Find night market clothes which are ill fitting and fall apart. Or go to the big department stores and pay $50 U.S. dollars for a t-shirt. Pass.
So that is why I shop like a mad woman during the summers. Trying to guess and gauge what children will need and what sizes they will be is stressful. Though for the most part I did an accurate job.
Kohen usually has a growth spurt around the beginning of a new year. I didn't want to buy him a bunch of new pants last summer when I knew he would grow out of them right around the time it turns into short weather. Consequently he has been sportin "capris" these last few months, and there ain't a thing I can do about it. (Note: I had bought 2 pairs of jeans in the next size up but they are like 5-6 inches longer than the previous size, what's up with that?!)
 Then over the last month or so I noticed an alarming trend. Holes in the right knee of - as of today- literally every pair of his pants. I have no idea what exactly he is doing but since even his pajama pants (far right) were not spared, it has to be something I've witnessed before, right?
 It's just interesting the things that you let go and that you find don't really matter. When I lived in Boise especially, I felt a pressure to have all of my kids neat and tidy and perfectly dressed and pruned- especially for church. I love that there are no pretenses like that in our Ward here. We go to church with some of the most humble men and women and I honestly feel ashamed if I catch myself worrying about one of my children looking or dressing a certain way that I "never" would have let happen in the States. It's so superficial it kind of makes me sick.
Not that I don't love my children to dress nicely in clothes that fit and that don't have holes in them! And I loves me a matching bow to go with any Sunday dress. But I feel like 2 years ago, letting Kohen go to school with a small hole in the knee of his "capri" jeans would have been completely unacceptable. And though I don't enjoy it now, it is what it is. 
I think of the Filipina women that I know who work in a different country than their children to be Domestic Helpers (aka: work their buns off) just to send home meager $ to their families, and it humbles me right down to size. Especially when they graciously take Kohen's holey, worn out jeans to send to their own children. 

At any rate, for Kohen's sake, I'm hoping for short weather soon. I have a feeling whatever he was doing to the knees of his pants, he isn't going to be doing on his bare knee more than once.

7 comments:

Keeping Up w/The Carlsons said...

Your children are growing at an alarming rate! Can't wait to go shopping with you ALL SUMMER. Won't you be my neighbor?

Amber said...

I feel similarly about where we live in Oregon. I don't know if it's the high cost of living or the state of the economy, but people here seem to be focused on meeting their needs and being wise with their money as they work to get their kids through college, or keep them on missions, or to endure another week of unemployment. Even if you aren't currently in those situations, you know enough people who are, that it seems superficial to worry about how new, updated, perfectly matching everyone looks. It's a refreshing shift, don't you think? It helps me to focus on things that are truly important. I love to hear your perspective! We miss you!

Nicole said...

That is one thing I absolutely love about living over here: the perspective it gives. There are many a day Jadyn (*and I*) walk out of the house in a way we may not have otherwise. In fact we are down to one jacket that the sleeves aren't to her elbows and I just keep hoping warm weather is around the corner!! Now she is into dressing herself, so you know how that goes! Kohen looks so cute no matter what, but I am curious what is going on with the right knee (mostly because--knowing Kohen--I know it would be entertaining! :)

Marianne and Brad said...

ha I agree, knowing Kohen, whatever it is it's probably hilarious! I am sure everyone looks cute all the time anyways. They are all so awesome!

Jessie said...

Erin you make me laugh! Love the capris! I have the same problem with Jackson right now every time I look at him his pants are shorter...only I have a mall 5 min away...awww oh well think of the $ your saving! :) Miss you!

Corinne said...

Carter has the same problem with holes in his knees- and yes, not even the pj's are spared? What are those crazy boys doing anyway? What a great perspective you have being away from us snotty Americans! I wish everyone here could have a better attitude and be more appreciative. :)

Ky"sa" said...

I remember going through a stage with Brayden thinking, "Can't you just stop falling all the time!!" Haha! Anyways, he grew out of it! I can only imagine what Kohen is doing to get a hole in his pants. At least his pants are on, "Pants on the ground . . . pants on the ground . . . . lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground." Okay sorry, I was just thinking of that song. haha! Anyways, I wish we could all have your perspective on what is REALLY important and what is NOT! :)

lllllll