Okay, this morning a mother of one of Kennedy's classmates, who I haven't met before sent me an Evite to invite Kennedy to her daughters birthday party. Her daughter is in the early class, Kenna the later one and so the girls classes overlap for under 2 hours each day. Anyway, Kenna doesn't know this little girl very well so I wasn't thinking she'd go to the party anyway but as I read through the Evite I was a little shocked to find this list at the bottom:
Well, she likes dresses size 6X-7, or any new clothes
The new HSM #3 movie or CD, or gift cards to Target
(she is getting a Nintendo DS from her sister along with the DS Pets Cats Clan & Ocean Rescue game already) So maybe a DS Game like "Little Pet Shop Garden" or "Little Pet Shop Jungle," or any other DS game.
She could also use the light blue small Nerf cover for the DS (Target/Toys R Us)
Maybe a gift card to Payless Shoes, that girl loves shoes!
I hope that helps give you some ideas.
See you at the party!
As far as Birthdays go in our family we kind of feel like the celebration and traditions are big and the presents are a bonus. Our experience has been the more friends and presents at the party, the less the child seems to appreciate the gifts/party or even have fun. So for now we try to keep things family oriented but this is just our way of doing things, not to say it is how we will always do things or that it is right or wrong.
But this invitation? I am gonna judge. I think it is way out of line! The further I read the more my mouth gaped open. Seriously?! I can't get over it. What happened to "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit"? But then I started thinking maybe I am the one who is old fashioned and out of touch, maybe the majority of people celebrate Birthdays more in this way and the list is appreciated. I REALLY want to know if I am the one outta my mind or is it the author of the invitation? You are my friends, I will accept and trust what you say~



25 comments:
Okay, I'll try to keep this comment brief :-)...but come on!!! Totally inappropriate. IF a parent called and ASKED for a suggestion for a gift, maybe you can tell them generally what she's interested in. But listing specifics? And on the invitation?? This is SO tacky I can't stand it.
Amazing honey - gift cards to Target or JCPENNY?? Come on!! Thanks for sharing - now I really want to know who this kid and mom are. See you soon honey.... Your Hubby.
I'm going with tacky. In fact, I probably wouldn't let little miss R go if she was the one invited.
OH by the way...Reagan 's birthday is coming up (I'm giving you time to save for her present)
she would like a
Nintendo wii
wii fit
a gift card to rc willey's
and her parents mortgage paid off.
Just a few little things :)
That is RIDICULOUS!!!! What an idiot. I'm embarrassed for her. Maybe I'm behind the times, but come on seriously? I have never heard of a wish list for a birthday. DUMB!
Sounds to me like the mother of that little girl is all about the GET when it comes to birthdays. Did you happen to notice how long the invite list was? I'm willing to bet there was a HUGE number of children invited to that party. The more kids, the more gifts right and as long as she's telling you what to bring she'll be sure to get what she wants. Give me a break!
Even if you are behind the times, who wants to be with the times if that's where it's headed?!
I am with Jen on this! The fist time we had a party for Abby I didn't even realize kids would bring things, so she ended up with way too much. I don't have a ton of experience with this but it sounds a bit crazy!
The list in that invite was bold! I have to agree with you, birthday gifts are a bonus. Who spends that kind of money on a gift anyway, what ever happend to a Barbie or jump rope? O.K., now I am sounding out of touch.
I may be more old fashion than you. I still think it is wierd to register for a new baby. A wish list for a birthday part (at any age)just sounds greedy.
Come on! You all sound like a bunch of na-sayers.
You need to gather all the info you can in life. This mother was kind enough to offer up a lot of info. You now know what what she thinks of B-Day parties. And you know what they say about solid recon:
Knowing is half the battle. Hey I just had an idea. Maybe you should give the kid a GI Joe...
PS - I in no way endorse the behavior in the described post or the subsequent comment. It is to be used for humor purposes only.
yikes. thats all there is to say really, she sounds like a high maintanence friend (mom and daughter both). run away. fast.
what in the world! cause i am so ADD, i read the colored part first..thinking it was something funny kenna came up with for her ideas for the gifts and then to read the whole script and see it was real! what in the world? i am bit of reality running overflow at my house, i am sure i could bottle it up for them. :>
seriously, that made my afternoon...good laughs. i am with you on the traditions and love! but then again, maybe a gift idea just on my birthday wouldn't be so bad!
it has been forever since i have "blogged" and oh how i missed reading yours!
ps.
yay for your growing family. my heart goes to you and the sickies...but congrats. you sure do know how to have the cutest, funniest kids on the block...take care babe!
Is the mother of that child named Tamn??
Mike
maybe it would be easier for her to just register. That way you could just order the gifts from your home computer! Tacky tacky tacky. And I don't know about you but I have a pretty small budget for birthday presents.
No offense to any who did this, but I find it tacky to include the "we've registered at BB&B and Target" in the wedding announcements.
SO, for a mother to do that for a child's birthday...wow.
I feel that expressing EXPECTATION of a gift, of any kind and for any event/reason is tacky, tacky, tacky...and I think Emily Post would agree!
Holy Crud! (Excuse my language). I am with you Erin. That is just crazy. I sent my parents a list of ideas for the kids Christmas but only after they ASKED. I can't even imagine doing something like that. For the past 2 years, we've had friends over to play with Carter on his birthday but I specifically say no gifts in the invite. I guess I am REALLY old fashioned!
I'm totally with you! Birthday parties are more for the purpose of celebration and being with the people you care about...not for the presents. Plus, it's not even like Kenna is really friends with the girl...totally tacky. The items on that list are pricey too! I have learned that if people want ideas for gifts, they will contact you, and that is the "tactful" way to do it.
On a side note, I have realized a trend towards extravagant birthdays and gifts, especially for families with only one or two children. My niece is invited to go to DISNEYWORLD with a few of her friends to celebrate her birthday..so it may be the norm among those circles...who knows!
OH MY GOSH! That is just plain tacky! I can't believe that....seriously you always have good birthday party stories! I hope you are not going to the party!
Yes, tacky is the word! Sounds like just too much for a young kid's birthday, don't you think?
You'll have to let us know if you go to the party and how it turns out.
Yes, tacky is the word! Sounds like just too much for a young kid's birthday, don't you think?
You'll have to let us know if you go to the party and how it turns out.
Eww, my little one would not be going, much less taking a gift. I'm in the "ya get what ya get..." crowd.
Hey! My birthday's coming up. Thanks for the tip. Please see my blog for my wish list soon!
Post a Comment