Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Please Be Joking....

Let me just start by saying I have had the same Dr. deliver all three of my babies before in Boise (shout out to Dr. West!) and I was loathe to have to find a new Dr. here in CA. Going on the recommendation of a "friend" -whose status as such is now under review- I picked a new doctor. Fine. Nice guy, Nathan and I enjoyed meeting him at the first ultrasound and especially seeing the baby and the heartbeat etc. 
So for my appt. today I was looking forward to what I have always been used to, quick weight and blood pressure check, a listen to the baby's heartbeat and I'm outta there. So I was completely shocked when the nurse informed me they would be doing a Pap and Breast exam. What?! First of all that kind of activity is not something you just spring on a woman...or at least, do so at your own risk! Umm, I would've liked to have had the opportunity to shave my armpits and even an extra swipe of deodorant would've been appropriate I believe. And any other Pap Prep if you will, I'm not even going into. The mental preparation I was deprived of didn't help matters either. Anyway, today ended up being unusually humiliating...
I think my previous Dr.- who is obviously much more knowledgeable than this Dr.- had told me that do to hormones and changes in a woman's body during pregnancy, it isn't a good time to do these tests. So that left me wondering today if this is a common practice for OB's to do on pregnant women or what?! Common sense tells me that it may not be so wise, but you know, what does 'my common sense' prove? So anyway, since this is kind of personal if you feel like taking an anonymous survey (up and to the right) maybe we can get a better idea of general practices...
Man, I did not see that coming today. I just kept telling myself, surely he's seen worse than the 5 o'clock shadow in my armpits...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad its you and not me :) Congrats to you and Nathan, you are a better woman than I.

shellydinger said...

My second pregnancy I was due for one, and so I think I had one at about 8 weeks or so. I knew it was coming. I always sort of freak out, and need lots of mental prep. James told me to look around the waiting room and realize that there is no way on earth I am the grossest thing the doctor has seen. It actually helps, until I think about other women doing the same thing. I thought your OB review was hilarious!

Brian or Julie said...

It all about the prep. Sorry they did that to ya. I had some crazy things with new OB out here but not that bad. Oh and Congrats. Are you going to let us see your belly grow?

Sheila said...

Oh Erin. I am so sorry. But what Shelly said is true. There is no way you are the grossest thing the doctor has seen. You can get 'pap'ared for the next one! ;)

The Crowley's said...

I have always had those test done with each pregnancy, but then again I am pretty much prego ever year or so, that makes it hard to find another time to do it- still hate it and always will.

Anonymous said...

I had them done during pregnancy as well?

hf said...

I avoid those yearly exams like the plague, so the drs all have done them while prego cause I can't avoid seeing the ob/gyn then.

ks said...

My doc does this as well. As if pregnancy weren't fun enough on it's own...

MKB said...

Well I have to admit that I laughed at you because of this post but karma got me and in the last two weeks I have had two trans-vaginal (I know TMI) ultrasounds with another one scheduled for Thursday. Who knows maybe I will be having one the following Thursday also. Let's hope not!

Hokie Family said...

So some how i missed that you were pregnant. Congrats! Where will this baby be born. I want to thank you for making me laugh all day after reading this post. Hope it wasn't too bad.

The Sorensons said...

What??? I clearly don't check your blog enough because I had no idea you were pregnant again...congratulations!!! I'll have to spread the word around here. You're kids (especially Aly) look so much bigger. As always, they look adorable.

Jessie said...

Hilarious Erin! I soooo know what you mean about being prepared for that! I have to go once a year to get my pill refilled and seriously start thinking about it (dreading it) about three months before.
But trust me my sister- in- law is a midwife and they see much much much worse!!!

Erik & Marcie +3 said...

Lol! I just have to say though, those doctors have seen EVERYTHING (literally) and they don't care if your legs are shaved, and most likely don't even noticed. I know this, because I have asked my doctor(s) several times. lol! And it's common to get a pap during your first appointment (or so) if you are due for one.

lllllll