Umm, where did all of the good babysitters go? I mean, I hate to get all, "in my day" but in my day, when I babysat and the parents came home the house was absolutely in better condition then they had left it. The children were soundly asleep because I had tuckered them out from actually playing with them, and I was always trying to impress the parents I was babysitting for whether that meant asking questions to make sure I understood their directions, or engaging in adult conversation on a ride home- I was completely willing to do that for whatever measly amount I was making.
Nathan travels some and it has caused me to come to rely on a few of these babysitters as a means of keeping a household running as a temporarily single parent. So now that I am at a stage in my life where I need good babysitters, where have they all gone? I am starting to think that besides my nieces (who are exempt from this rant, having been raised properly) are the last of a nearly extinct species- COMPETENT BABYSITTERS.
This week when I came home to the first of two sitters we've used here (and for the most part been underwhelmed by both) to find the house a wreck, the lunch food left out, dirty dishes left everywhere and my kids bored and restless. I thought that I had been specific with her about having the children clean up after themselves because, small detail, WE ARE MOVING IN A WEEK!!! So I was feeling pretty frustrated. Then on the way home, she sat next to me and texted the entire time, not perfect when she is supposed to be giving me directions to go a different route to her home. I had to turn around 3 times cuz she would be texting and miss telling me a turn. She later cheesed a future babysitting job we pre-set via text. I'm starting to feel less bad that Kennedy- upon meeting this sitter months ago- asked if she had a baby in her tummy.
I pick up the other sitter today, and due to the unsavory experience Monday I am very specific with what I expect to be done while I am away. I am going over lunch and nap information and, no lie, she interrupts with an excited, "This is my favorite song!".... What? David Archuletta's 'Crush' is cause for you to interrupt my instructions?! Are you kidding me?
And no the house didn't impress me when I came home, and they were all watching Hannah Montana which #1- my kids do not need to be watching a show for teenie boppers thank you very much #2- why are my kids watching tv? Go play with them!!!
I don't know, maybe I am expecting way too much of these girls. Am I?



9 comments:
We've had 1 babysitter that was "non-family" & she did well because she is in college and takes care of Jonah at daycare. I have the # of a 15 yr old that is the daughter of a nurse I work with. For reasons in your blog, I am afraid to try her out. If I do, I'll let you know! I agree with you, I did dishes, cleaned up, played, etc. What's going on these days? Rachel
Nope. It's a different crop even the family ones, hence why I take mine almost everywhere with me. I really think it has a lot to do with them being constantly entertained... cell phones, ipods... you forget that it fun to just play on floor or that you can even JUST play on the floor?!? Kudos for posting...I'm afraid to on mine. :)
You are right on Erin! Your girls are going to be booked with babysitting when the time comes. You'll teach them the right way. I used to feel the same way as you, before I had a live in babysitter of my own now. There's got to be one out there for you. Don't give up and don't lower your standards. :)
Thanks A LOT Sister Jensen!! Don't ever call me AGAIN!!
so erin is the last comment for real? Guess you hit a sore spot! I feel the same way!
I'm guessing it's Mike :) definitely not real, lol
I actually think I was one of those lame babysitters...I had no spine, so I always had a hard time getting kids to go to bed. I didn't know how to say, "No," to the often asked, "Just one more story." I hate to admit it, but I was totally sub-par! But, I have an 11-year-old niece that is AWESOME! She plays and cleans and everything. Can't beat that! Good luck in your quest!
EJ-
Am I really that easy to pick out of a line up?? Well you caught me!
MC
NONONONONONONONONONONONONO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are not asking too much. Babysitting is a priveledge, someone is leaving their KIDS with you!!!! For heaven sakes. I feel the same way you do. I HATE trying to find a good babysitter. They are a real treasure. First off, IF they answer thier phones and dont bomb out on you-your on a promising track. its true that many do not know how to entertain kids. I unplug the cords to the tv and hide them. NO TV. and just play what the kids want to play... I really get frusterated when I hear from Emi, "she just didnt want to play anything with us." DAH. Or, how about the time my neighbor came over to tell me that the day before, the babysitter had let the kids go to the park alone, and that they had come over to HER house to see if her kids could play. She assumed I was with them at the park and later was shocked to come pick up her kids and find them with mine, unattended milling around the pond at the city park! HONESTLY!!!! Ive given up on the cleanliness thing, seriously, just be fun with the kids and Ill pay you out the nose.
Post a Comment