On Sunday morning he came in our room saying his mouth hurt and he didn't think he should go to church. Hmmm. At first I wasn't sure if that was just a ploy to stay home but an untouched breakfast gave credence to his complaint. He and I went to just Sacrament meeting at the end of church and after afternoon naps poor Kohen was so much worse. He had a fever over 103 and was telling us how bad it hurt to swallow and though it is not terribly common in children under 3, Kohen has had Strep throat several times before so I figured he may have Strep again. Knowing the history our family has with Strep (specifically my MIL who nearly died after Strep throat turned septic, several years ago. She lived but lost both of her legs-man it seems wrong to try and sum up her trial and journey in 2 short sentences.) I don't mess around at all if I think someone has it.
As I wrote before Nathan took Kohen to the ER Sunday evening. Long story longer, the P.A. who saw them totally blew off doing a Strep test. She actually sat there and listed the reasons why it was pointless: He is young, would've had to have been around someone with Strep, the test is only 70% accurate and takes 20 min for results and on and on until Nathan felt like he shouldn't insist. Instead she brilliantly wanted to observe Kohen drinking some apple juice... huh??? 3 hours later they were discharged and told nothing was wrong.
Kohen comes home feeling awful. He proceeds to throw up the apple juice- the only thing he'd had in hours- and felt so terrible and feverish he just wanted to go to bed. Monday morning, no change except he had a new rash to go with the rest. I was FUMING. I knew what the rash was, he had Scarlet Fever- goes hand in hand with, wait for it cuz this is super tricky, STREP! Nathan took him in to our Ped. an hour later and the Dr. takes one look in Kohen's mouth and says, "I'll do the test but I don't need to, he clearly has Strep." He then told Nathan that we should not pay that ER bill and that we needed to call and raise hell because we were treated very poorly- and the PA missed something extremely obvious.
So finally today Kohen is feeling a bit better. The rash is still there, looks like a sunburn on his cheeks and upper body, but otherwise isn't bothersome. I am truly grateful for antibiotics and good doctors, they make such a huge difference.
Update on the call to the hospital to come!



8 comments:
I can't beleive that! I'd like to have a few words with that doctor myself. I'll be anxious to hear how that call goes. It's nice to have the back up of your doctor. I hope Kohen gets to feeling better.
I don't blame you for wanting to raise H@!!. I was getting mnad just reading about it! Good luck with the phone call, I'm excited to read that post :) PS. I hope Kohen feels better...poor little guy.
Yuck! That is a serious case of Strep. I'm glad you were so on top of it and that he is starting to feel a bit better.
can't wait for that call- poor guy- are you guys going to try and remove the tonsils with him as well?
Poor Kohen, I feel so bad for him and for you as parents. Hope you give the doc or the hospital what they deserve. Tell Kohen to feel better. Aunt Cindy
I am glad he is feeling better. What a sucky DR at the ER.
Kohen is way too CUTE! He looks like such a man in the grad outfit! That really makes one feel safe going to the ER :( Keep up the good work Mom and Dad!
When I read your post, it reminded me of when Nathan and Taylor were little. They would both get Scarlet fever everytime they had strep, which was several times a year. At that time doctors were hesitant to take out tonsils.
I am sorry that Kohen ot so sick!
Post a Comment