Saturday, May 21, 2011

Father and Son's Camp Out 2011

As we've mentioned before, Kohen has some issues with anticipation. So he knew the Father and Son's camp out was coming up but he didn't know when. The week before in church he spent the entire Sacrament meeting drawing pictures of his list of things to pack. Then he promptly came home and packed all of it up, and there it sat for a week until the big day finally came. He was all business helping Nathan get the car packed up to go. He couldn't have pretended he would miss me had he wanted to.
I had a fun time teasing Nathan about taking Ander with too -after all he is also a "son"- but in the end Ander stayed with the girls to keep us company.
 And we had big plans of our own. We had a get together with several other mothers and daughters and while the girls had their princess pajama party, the moms got to hang out and visit too. NO BOYS ALLOWED was strictly adhered to (I got a sitter for Ander) though there may have been one nursing baby boy, but even he was disguised in a princess night gown, which gave all of us a good chuckle. We had a great night.
 The boys had a great night too (this is where Nathan requested I add that he made a dutch oven roast and a dutch oven cobbler that was "unbelievable", I suppose he earned himself a legit shout out for that). The next morning after breakfast the boys all walked over to Fulong Beach (it's about an hour or so from our house) and enjoyed the beautiful scenery, lovely ocean water and sand.
 The boys all romped around out in the surf and then busied themselves digging holes and building castles in the sand.
 Just a side note, a common mistake in Taiwan with the regular overcast look from the skies, is to feel safe from the sun. Yeah, you (hopefully) only make the mistake once. It doesn't take but a few minutes even when it's overcast to get a serious sunburn. And holy smokes if the clouds part and that sun comes through, the temperature shoots up like 50* (well, it feels like it anyway) and you'd better take cover if you don't have sun screen. There's very little wiggle room with the sun in these parts.
 There also happened to be an international sand sculpture contest going on and there were some really cool looking sculptures that Nathan got some pictures of. Am I the only one who really wants to just touch the sculptures???

Ah the cowboy hat. Kohen wore it religiously on the camp out and I'm not gonna lie, it's so Kohen and so adorable. I love him. In this picture he was in the process of tipping his hat to ya'll, cuz, you know, he's just a gentleman like that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our darling Kohen :) I love that hat too. You are not the only one who wants to touch the sand sculpture, which look AWESOME btw. I have been known to not be able to resist touching famous art at museums despite signs and ropes forbidding it ;)I just can't help myself!
Beeg

Jessie said...

Kohen is awesome! And so are those sand castles! Holy Moly!!! :)

Nicole said...

How adorable! Kohen in his hat, packing his bags early, anxiously packing the car, and of course the princess party. So fun! Loved all the pics and you can tell Nathan I wish I could have some of that roast and cobbler.

Sarah said...

Looks like fun was had by all! A little girl time/boy time is always a good idea if you ask me. Especially if it includes a sleep over. :)

I honestly can't believe how huge those sand sculptures are. They beat any competitions we have out here. Oh and no, you are not the only one who wants to touch them. Something inside of me wants to dig my hands in deep even though know it will completely ruin them. It's sad but oh so true.

lllllll