Kennedy just had her very first dance recital. Her performance was "Swan Dance" and I have to say Kenna gracefully fluttered her swan wings all over that stage. I was the proud mama for sure.
Now if you want some back story: There are gobs of after school programs offered at our kid's school and Kennedy was excited to try ballet. Unfortunately it wasn't long before, like her brother in gymnastics, Kenna started complaining that she didn't like ballet. Having taught beginning ballet and gymnastics, among other classes, I know what the problem is. A complete and utter lack of fun. There are mostly Chinese teachers and the Chinese aren't exactly world renowned for their enthusiasm and fun, are they?
So when the paper came around to sign up for the recital which we found out would be held on a Sunday, I was glad it wasn't going to be an issue. I was a little shocked then, when Kennedy was curiously adamant that she wanted to participate in the recital. Dang it! After a lot of discussions and trying to casually talk her out of it, we finally agreed she could perform.It was frustrating when 2 weeks later, after $ had been paid, that she started complaining she didn't want to do the recital after all (other activities for the rehearsal Saturday prompted the change of heart) and so our lesson on Sunday Activities suddenly shifted to Finishing What we Commit To with a happy attitude. Who knew that choosing your battles as a parent includes changing said battles in the middle of one?
We did want to emphasize that there are few and rare things like a recital that we may participate in on a Sunday, and when we do -like any other activity our children are involved in- we would all be there to support and cheer each other on. This time that included an hour longer of waiting due to someone's poor English telling me the wrong time. Ugh. It made for extra fun during Ander's theoretical nap time. It's cool though, a little wrestling match before graceful ballet- the juxtaposition is just beautiful.
ANYWAY, Kennedy was all dressed and ready to go. They rent the costumes and they were quite pretty. This experience was completely different than my competitive dance days and dance recitals (as in laid back to the point of sloppiness, most of the kids having zero idea of what they were supposed to be doing. I wasn't too surprised, or impressed). But that didn't stop it from being a completely nostalgic experience for me. I'm gonna blame it on the hormones but I may have gotten a lump in my throat a few times. So many good memories for me.
But since the days of "Me" are long since past, back to reality here. Aly so wished she was in costume and makeup like her big sister, she was so excited for her.
Kohen's comment during Kennedy's performance was, "She is just so lovely!" He said it several times and I have to admit, even I was impressed by Kennedy. She was a surprisingly graceful swan and one of the only ones who actually finished each step and smiled through the whole dance.
I was SO proud.
And I wasn't the only one either.
Broadway (or even Studio "D") it was not, but we couldn't have been more proud of our Big Sister and Daughter. It was a great family afternoon. Way to go Kennedy!!!!







8 comments:
Yeah Kennedy! You look beautiful in your tutu. I wish I could have seen you dance. I am sure you were just fantastic. Hope all is well with your family and maybe we will see you soon.
Natalie Kirkham
Wow! What a beautiful girl!
She looks beautiful!! And even in the pictures she looks 100% graceful. You definitely should be a proud mama! :)
Beautiful photos of a beautiful swan..memories to treasure!
I love the black and white picture. It looks like it should be a painting. Hilarious story about all the ups and down of getting to the recital. Life's never easy is it?
Kennedy made a beautiful swan!! I wish I could have seen the performance!! I bet she was super graceful!! She got the dance steps from her mama! ;)
I have to agree with ever-wise and eloquent Kohen - she is just so lovely!
LOVE it!
Post a Comment