Driving in Taiwan is often done within inches of each other, not feet. This takes some serious getting used to and even those with the most adept skills will occasionally get a small scratch or ding parking or maneuvering in all the narrow places. Thankfully, it is so common place that body work on cars is super cheap and reasonable. That may be why it's pretty much unheard of to leave a note if you ding someone else's car. Learned that one the hard way...
I got this picture taking Aly to school this morning. About 8-10 cars passed this truck on the left while we waited. As far as I could see the truck never actually touched the parked cars on his right, he probably even had an inch or two to spare.
Driving here has been compared to a video game, and I've found that's pretty accurate. You are always waiting for someone on a bike or scooter to suddenly cross in front of you, cars to pull in front of you, look out! for that construction guy sticking his head out of the man hole with two orange cones out in front to alert oncoming drivers and protect him, wait patiently while the car in front of you does an "illegal" but commonly used U-turn. The list goes on.
But for as crazy as driving is here, I have come to think that it might actually be safer. Here is why. In the States we have rules, we obey those rules. Accidents mostly happen when someone unthinkingly breaks a rule, and the rest of us don't have ample time to react. Like running a red light for example. You start going when the light turns green because, well, the light was green! Never checking if everyone else stopped like they were supposed to.
In Taiwan you are always on alert. You truly can do nothing else but concentrate on driving (and occasionally shout at your kiddos to keep their hands to themselves) because where you are driving is a constantly changing scene of unexpected obstacles. But because everyone is paying attention (mostly) we all work around each other and traffic moves around obstacles easily like a river flowing around a large rock. I swear I drive at least a fifth of the time on the wrong side of the road, just going around buses, people double parked etc.
Anyway, my friends and I were recently discussing how nice it will be when we go home this summer to actually be able to relax a little when driving. How crazy is that? I guess it comes down to a matter of offensive vs. defensive, and offensive is just a bit more relaxing :)
Here is a video of a short cut that Nathan and I have termed "THE GAUNTLET". As you watch, keep in mind that this is a "two-way"road and this type of thing is pretty common, as is me telling Nathan he has "Plenty of room, at least X amount of inches". I video'd it out of our sun roof, in case you are wondering, which explains why it's a teeny bit bumpy ;)



9 comments:
ah love it. i have to say though....watch out when you drive in the U.S. because you might just accidently use some of those Taiwan driving habits. Oops!
Ah, the memories. While I never drove I did often ride my bike on the highway. And then there was that time I ran over a kid on my bike...
Dude, how does anyone get anywhere on time? Also, how fast does one drive through the gauntlet? :) Scary please! You are my hero :)
Beeg
I can't stop laughing because Abby just watched this with me. I was trying to tell her this is where you all live and asked her if it looks different than where we live and she says " Ya, it looks like the zoo! How can they even drive in there?" I am sure that is how you feel most the time. Way to go Abby on the description!
Ha ha, Abby is one very bright little girl! And EXACTLY right, lol!
Maile thinks it's funny, but it stresses me out just watching it! Whew!
I'm pretty sure you took me down that gauntlet, no? Not that I could remember, because every time I got in the car I'm pretty sure I had my eyes closed...except for that one time when I rolled down my window to serenade the motorbike dude to our right with some Lady Gaga...it seemed so right at the time! Leetle
I am so glad you did a video of this because it has been so hard to describe the Taiwan driving to everyone here. It never ceased to fascinate me!
I know what you mean about being a defensive driver...somehow the driving in Peru feels somewhat safe because people are very aware while driving since they are constantly breaking laws and risking their lives to get a few inches ahead. At least we learn how to react in dangerous driving situations, right? No one will catch the Sorensons or Jensens sleeping at the wheel once we're back to the U.S.! And seriously, since when was having a few thousand scratches and dents on your car such a bad thing? I'm glad to see you guys are still enjoying your adventures in your part of the world. How much longer until you move back?
Post a Comment