Saturday, May 28, 2011

White Flag

I find it annoying when the wealthy Asian parents whose children go to school with mine, have nothing better to do but plan and attend gobs of parties and performances at school. Maybe if I had two children and 3 live-in helpers I could swing it, but alas that is not the case. So these last few weeks of school are kind of torture for me. 
Class Funds: At the beginning of the year the happy, outgoing, well meaning room moms for all 3 of my children's classes asked for a steep 1,000 NT which is about $35 U.S.  Not much you can do but shell out the mullah. If you don't, some uncouth room mom's like to casually send out a cheery email to everyone with a list of those who haven't yet paid -so you'd better pay up or be prepared to be outed. 
This money, they say at the beginning of the year, is for all class parties and gifts for the teacher. So then why, one wonders, did I receive 3 more rounds of emails asking for more money for the teacher's gifts at the end of this year? It ranged from one asking for 336 NT ( about $12) to one asking for another 1,000 NT more. I was ignoring the emails while I debated what to do when I got the email that broke the proverbial camel's back.
The email was not from the room mom in Kohen's class, but from another mom saying, "Wow, didn't so and so do a great job this year as room mom? I think we should all give 150 NT to get her something to show our appreciation." I was flabbergasted. Completely. 
If she was an amazing room mom why wasn't she able to manage the party/gift budget with the $600+ U.S. she started with at the beginning of the year?! And it's not like I'm against showing appreciation for a job I know I don't want to do, it's just that, what's wrong with a card and some flowers? Why do we need to get her a gift of $100 in gift certificates?! That is completely over the top as far as I'm concerned. Am I crazy? Am I just stingy? This is your chance to tell me. Seriously, I need to know. 
In case you're wondering, I didn't pay a second round to anyone.

Next disaster:
So speaking of how the parents all create unnecessary reasons to celebrate at school, Summer Birthdays are starting to bug me. I now loathe the fact that two of my children have them, because every other parent of a kid with a summer birthday makes a big whoop out of celebrating the b-day, and then if I don't my kid is left out and crushed. Total peer pressure.
I finally set a date to take in cupcakes for Aly. That sounds pretty harmless right?
My morning started off just great. I got everyone dropped off at school, waited there for someone to pick something up from me as a favor which saved me a 1/2 hr drive, then went home and walked hiked our ginormous and steep hill, pushing Ander in the stroller. I was then super-mom multitasking getting Ander and I breakfast and starting the cupcakes when I had the "Mom Moment" that seemed to change the momentum of my day.
I had to use the restroom, okay? Ander was locked in his high chair so I hurried in knowing I had seconds, maybe 2 min if I was lucky, before he got annoyed. 45 seconds later, he starts squawking. Then simultaneously, the IP phone that is calls from the U.S. (aka: family) starts ringing. Then my cell goes off as Nathan texts me, aaand to top it off, the timer for Aly's cupcakes starts blaring. It was quite the moment.
Cut to me pulling the cupcakes out of the oven and they look beautiful and perfect. 5 minutes later they were shriveled up versions of their former glory. I was horrified. (see above pic to join me in horrification).

I knew what was wrong, it's our stupid oven. You have 4 temperatures in C* on the dial and you have to just guess if the temp you need is in between. So you spend a lot of time watching the thermometer that is set inside the oven to see what the temp really is. In my haste (meaning, I didn't have 20 min to adjust and wait and adjust again) I must not have had the temp right. All the cupcakes failed.
I stood there and told myself this was just my pride and nothing a little frosting wouldn't disguise for a bunch of 4 and 5 year olds. So I sucked it up and convinced myself to take them anyway.
All you mom's out there know that even though it's stupid to feel that way, you do feel your "cupcakes" are a reflection of your abilities as a mom.
I patted myself on the back for my maturity, grabbed Ander- who by now had smeared his left over breakfast all over his hair- and raced upstairs to get ready.
Because Ander is a maniac these days, I ran a bath for him to keep him occupado while I showered a few feet away but within sight. I was running out of time. I jump out, dry off, grab the hair dryer, flip it on, and the power goes out. To the entire house. For real. I knew right away I was in trouble because the gate to our house that also let's our car in and out runs on electricity and you aren't going anywhere if you don't have power.
So now I've shelved my pride with the cupcakes, my self-esteem with my hair and make-up not getting done, and I'm still trying to figure out how to get those shriveled up cupcakes to Aly!
I dress Ander and race downstairs to frost the cupcakes when Nathan texts and says, "I called a cab, it'll be there in 6 min." Cue Ander walking into the kitchen with a soaking wet doll he just put in the toilet, I'm standing there with wet hair and unfrosted cupcakes and finally, FINALLY, I call it. White flag my friends. Waving it proud.
I told Nathan thank you but cancel the cab. I called the school and explained that I was stuck and wouldn't make it. And then I sat down and tried not to cry.
Luckily I've got Ander so I couldn't sit for long.
When I picked up a heart broken Aly 2 hours later, her teacher was wonderful in helping me smooth things over and explain that we would have a re-do the next day. When I told her she could even have a cupcake when we got home it fixed everything. See! I knew those 5 yr olds wouldn't bat an eye at my deformed cupcakes!

ps- take two with fresh cupcakes went off with nary a hitch. Why? Nathan was home packing before a trip so I had help :)
p.p.s- Are the lavish parties/gifts and annoyingly involved in all the wrong way parents like this in the states? Maybe I just think it's weird cuz I'm here but it could be this way everywhere... in which case am I the only one kicking the pricks? Just curious...

12 comments:

hf said...

Geez! Could anything more have gone wrong for you that day? Frustrating!! I'm glad you waved your white flag though. Sometimes it takes more guts to do that than you'd think.

As for the gifts, etc? It's completely overboard. Some people go out of their way to get teacher gifts, then it branches out to the teacher's aide gifts, and then you've got the bus driver gifts, and on and on. I appreciate all the teachers do for our kids, but seriously! Most of the time I think it becomes a matter of 'keeping up with the Joneses' instead of real appreciation. If it were just mere appreciation, I believe a heartfelt thank you note would suffice.

The Crowley's said...

EJ,
just pay the extortion money, I know it SUCKS, but it will be easier that way in the long run

MC

Anonymous said...

Seester! You are my hero, not only are you a supermom of four, but you are a PREGNANT supermom of four! Not much longer and you will have lots of help...and I promise I will make all birthday cupcakes:) Leetle

The Crowley's said...

My husband says pay, but I am cheep and I say don't pay, but in the end I am sure I would cave too. I have a lot to learn- I haven't even started the school thing yet!

Nicole said...

Oh, Erin! I want to cry for you! I'm so sorry. I too find myself wondering, "is it like this in the States?" more often than I would like. You know how I am with money, so I agree throwing that kind of money around for stuff like that is frivolous and ridiculous. My current frustration is how much dance/gymnastics/art classes/etc cost! And most kids are enrolled in two or three... at age 3!

As we know, everything is harder than it should be/needs to be living over here. I am glad Take 2 on the cupcakes turned out well. Good for you for doing it at all!

Tara Pugmire said...

I just liked the story! I think it should go in chapter 5 in your book!

Kay said...

What a morning! I am glad you threw up the white flag. As for the money. Seriously--it is ridiculous. I haven't entered entered school in the u.s. yet, but I just think that in Asia it all seemed a little (a lot) extreme. I think I would not have paid too. Good for you.

Anonymous said...

Oh Erin... You never cease to amaze me. I feel like my life can be just as crazy but I don't know anybody who is as good as you at telling it in a way that keeps me engrossed to the very last vowel.

-Justin

Cheech said...

O-Erin, I feel for you! We have similar problems here when the class rep from grade 1 wanted to give the teacher a necklace and a bracelet for a year end gifts! It is not only expensive, but the teacher won't remember which year the jewelries from after a couple of years. And no, I haven't paid them and refuse to pay. But I made a scrapbook of all the kids and a video of them saying what they like about the teacher. And I think she likes mine better :)

Sarah said...

Okay, you win best mom ever award. One day your kids are going to look back at this blog and be amazed at all the things you do for them. I was reading this post and gasping at all the things that went wrong. I would have been in tears for sure.

About the money/gifts, I'm glad you didn't pay. I could be wrong but I don't remember ever giving gifts to my teachers at the end of the year. I think a gift is something you give if you feel like the teacher was outstanding, not because someone else tells you to. And absolutley not a super expensive one. Whatever happened to giving an apple? :)

Ky"sa" said...

Man oh Man!! First of all, you are such a great mom and being a great mom sometimes means throwing the towel in. The good thing is that Aly won't remember that you didn't bring treats, she'll remember that you let her have a cupcake when she got home!!!

Okay, the second thing....those mom's are super pushy!!! Gifts are given only if the child wants to give a gift ie... Christmas or end of the year. But I think a hand made card is way more priceless than an actual gift. You are validated in not giving the extra "EXCESS" mullah!! I would not give that much money!! But then again, I would probably cave in. :) Keep up the good work!!

Hannah said...

Wave that white flag with pride, Erin! You deserved it after that morning. I'm glad Aly could be consoled with a cupcake. :)

I'm right with you--I don't have kids in school yet (that's to start this year), but I think it's totally ridiculous. And, most of the time the money gets wasted on something that isn't even wanted in the first place. Whatever happened to homemade cards made by the kids? And since when are monetary gifts the only sign of appreciation? And what if the teacher really wasn't that great anyway?

It reminds me of another pet peeve of mine--always giving a standing ovation regardless of the performance quality. So if you don't stand up, it's an insult. And then you have this awkward feeling like you're supposed to stand up because others are and you don't want to come across rude. My opinion? If you don't feel the desire to jump up out of your seat immediately upon conclusion, then applause (and some hollering) is more than ample.

So hold on to that money :).

lllllll