Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Kennedy's 5th Birthday





Turns out the cupcake frenzy was only the beginning of my madness. I am not a big fan of big birthday parties because I feel like it can give children a sense of entitlement, like they deserve a bunch of presents etc. So Nathan and I had decided long ago that we may do a few milestone birthday parties but other than that we felt that family was fun enough. I don't know why I decided to invite 2 of Kennedy's friends then...I don't know why I did a lot of things for her birthday, really. We were all really tired on Sat. because Nathan had arrived home late the night before and we all stayed up to hang out with him. And after spending some 4+ hours on cakes -a castle cake and then my own creation, the Cinderella cake to go with the castle- I was feeling like I had put more work into things then a 5 year old could be expected to appreciate. By the time the get together started Kennedy was already showing signs of being tired- her manners weren't in tip top form. We did have fun though. We played pin the Tiara on the Princess, then they spent some time whacking away at a Nemo pinata (which I finally exploded open on my 2nd hit, thank you very much) before opening presents where Kennedy did have a few moments where she opened a present and her reaction was, "Oh cool! (chuck present to the side) Where is another present?" While cringing inwardly I tried to keep in mind she is 5, not 15- and this could actually be a good teaching opportunity. Anyway, the Bell's are the best. They all showed up to help Kennedy celebrate which is really very nice, I was grateful. And my mom tuned in via Web Cam so it turned into quite the little get together and in the end I learned several valuable lessons that made a lot of my hassles worthwhile. At any rate, happy birthday Kennedy!




3 comments:

Corinne said...

It sounds like the party was a hit! Great cakes, by the way :) What a fun day for a fun little girl!

Anonymous said...

The cakes looked fabulous! I think when Kennedy is 15 you will look back and wish all you had to do to make her happy is make two cakes, 36 cupcakes, and play pin the tiara on the princess! It will seem like the years passed way too fast.

ej said...

Good point! Thanks for putting things in perspective!!!! :)

lllllll