Friday, November 16, 2007

Food Glorious Food

Okay. Bare with me. A few weeks ago I caught the Oprah where Jessica Seinfeld (Yes, Jerry Seinfeld's wife) was on talking about how she got tired of fighting her kids about eating vegetables and so she started pureeing veggies and hiding them in their food. She had a new cookbook she has made and on Oprah.com they had several of the recipes. Now, I have always made an effort to feed my children healthy foods and I already have a few things I make that I sneak some veggies into but I was really excited to try these new recipes.

Having Nathan away from home has turned out to be a good time to try making some of these new recipes cuz I'm not gonna lie- some of them were NOT so tasty-but I think I found a few that will become staples in our diets. If I was to write all of the fiascoes and reactions to each of the foods I tried you'd be reading all day so I will try to keep it short; prediction- I will fail. First I tried the Chicken Nuggets with Spinach Puree. I thought they tasted really good but I learned a lot from making them. Make sure your chicken pieces are small, don't get the puree mixture too thick on the chicken or the breading comes off and this green mixture is revealed...Kennedy was not okay with this. The picture with nuggets is actually spinach filled 'chicken nuggets' they sell at our Costco out here and a friend recommended them and my kids will eat them and I actually really like them. Next I tried the Scrambled Eggs with Cauliflower Puree. I liked these okay. Kohen eats them and Aly ate them once and threw them once, and Kennedy picked at them. What I learned: don't add any or much water to the cauliflower puree when blending it, and I didn't add the oil that was in the recipe either because there was all of this liquid that I had to drain out the first time I made it. Better the second time with less liquids. Then I tried the Quesadilla with Squash Puree- people, please. I hadn't bought a squash (or cauliflower) in my life before I tried these. It was so fun to cut open that squash and realize oh yeah, this is in the same fam as pumpkins! And Kennedy enjoyed spooning out the seeds. I thought making the squash puree might be a little more involved than I was willing to be but you just throw it in the oven and forget about it for 45 min and then blend it up. I have since been just feeding 1/2 Cup or so of the squash puree to Aly at lunch because she loves it- who knew?! Anyway- the quesadillas are a hit for sure, even for Nathan and I. Kennedy is not a meat lover so I took the precooked grilled chicken strips from Costco, out of the freezer and blended them into the bean mixture and she was never the wiser :) Love that. Again, we really liked these. I made the Italian Meatloaf, would have liked it better without the spaghetti sauce on top but that is just a personal pref, reality is most of it ended up going down the sink. The Macaroni and Cheese- for the first time that I can remember since I have been making dinners for my fam did I make something that I felt was not worth eating. It looked all creamy and good- we all dug in and I even took a couple extra bites trying to make myself like it but I really just DID NOT. So even though my children often don't like what is for dinner, it would be rare that they all don't like it. So I did something I had never done before, took away the M.C. and broke out the cereal. Now, if you are someone who likes the Velveeta Shells and Cheese (Kristin :) you used to love that!) then this might be more up your alley. Let me know where I went wrong. And now, the finale. The Brownies with Spinach and Carrot puree. I was doubtful ya'll. And really if you eat a lot of refined sugars this would take a little getting used to. I didn't obey the directions and served it while still warm. I took one bite and there was a hint of spinach and I was like, 'blech! Why are my kids eating this?!' But then I tried it again after it had cooled completely and I was a much bigger fan. I proceeded to eat the rest of the pan for several breakfasts which I don't think was the intended purpose. Note: one bag of baby spinach makes one 1/2 Cup puree which is what the recipe calls for so keep that in mind. Anyway, thanks for reading, if by some miracle anyone still is- if you have any other questions let me know! And check out the link to the recipes up above!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Erin: I have to say that this is very impressive! I have always felt that we all eat far too few veggies. Hurray for you for all the extra effort.
Love, Bonnie

Sarah said...

Wow, I don't think I would have ever thought to blend up veggies and throw them in other foods...especially brownies! I have to admit it doesn't sound very good. Maybe when I have children I'll change my mind and try it. I am way impressed!

Anonymous said...

way cool, everyday is a challenge with abby so i need to try this- amber

shellydinger said...

That book is on my Christmas List and I am so grateful for the review. I'll for sure be referencing it when I get my hands on the book.

Sheila said...

Saw the show, loved the idea, but sounds like way too much work! Kuddos for your efforts!

Hokie Family said...

Wow Erin-
And I thought I was really cool when I made the zucchini Brownie recipe my friend gave me. Of course I loved them because they had a big fat layer of homemade chocolate frosting on top(that was made with 1/2 c. Margarine). You've given me courage. I think I'll try the Quesadillas first. You're awesome!
Heather

Anonymous said...

You are an awesome Mom Erin! This reminds me of Halloween time when I went to visit in Omaha. Kim (Ryan's wife, not Chris's sister) was making pancakes for Max and said I couldn't have any because I'd hate them. She doesn't even eat them because "they taste terrible." Max doesn't know though with the applesauce she puts on top instead of syrup. I can't remember what all was in it, but flax seed was one ingredient in his whole grain blueberry pancakes made from scratch. I should get you the recipe. It was hilarious.
Rachel

Corinne said...

You are my inspiration! I can't wait to try these recipes out. Hey- sorry dinner didn't work out this week (I was a mess this week). Anyway, except for a birth and Thanksgiving we're good this week! I'll call you :)

lllllll