Saturday, November 10, 2007

The Dreaded Bindi


Today I'm thinking the Amish are on to something with their shunning of technology. Last night I put my cell phone in the front pouch of my sweat shirt as I gathered up my cup, pen, planner etc. and got ready to go up to bed. At one point I leaned over to pick something else up and spilled about 1/3 cup of my water out onto the floor. I didn't realize until about 5 minutes later that some of the water had fallen into my shirt pouch and was giving my cell phone a nice bath. Turns out cell phones don't like baths. *Quick Flash Back* Last time Nathan and I were looking at cell phones the cell phone guy opened the back of Nathan's phone, pointed to a red dot and asks me with an accusing tone, "Has this phone been dropped in water?" I told him I had no idea because it was my husbands phone and he said, "Well, this red dot right here tells me it has been. It is white until it gets wet." He went on to say this helps the phone companies know if water played a part in someones phone suddenly 'just not working'. For some reason I came away from that feeling quite chastised and became determined to keep my dot white. I got the impression that if my dot turned red they wouldn't believe me or help me with phone issues. So back to last night. I get up to my room and discover that every crevice of my phone is soaked. I slowly slid the back off of it and popped the battery out and to my horror, there it was; the Mark of the Beast. I steadied myself on my night stand as I fought the waves of guilt washing over me (I would make such a great Catholic- I can feel guilty about anything) how could I have let this happen!? But after the initial shock that my dot had turned red, I realized I had a bigger problem. Phone no workie. As of this moment I have not had a working phone for exactly 12 hours...and it has been awful!!! I feel totally handicapped and cut off from the world. I wanted to text Rosie and see if she could watch Aly while I go to the phone store but then had the sick realization that I had no numbers written down anywhere except in my phone. What was I thinking putting all of my trust in a stupid flimsy little SIM Card that is the size of my thumb nail- to be my link to family and friends? So I drug my entourage with me to the phone store and they were so good for exactly 4.8 seconds and then each went into slow meltdowns. I was there long enough to learn that the SIM Card reader is what is not working and though I will still have all of my contacts, I will have to buy a new phone. Arghhhhhh!!! I am so irritated! Of course they aren't still making my phone and I do not like any of the new ones. You know, for as convenient as technology is supposed to make our lives I am feeling pretty dang inconvenienced. I guess technology gets the last laugh...touche.

2 comments:

Bell Family said...

Isn't it sad how we rely on cell phones for EVERYTHING. How would we know phone numbers, the time, or date without them? I don't even want to think about being without text messaging...seriously scary!

shellydinger said...

"phone no workie" Erin you kill me. Thanks for the laugh and so sorry about your phone.

lllllll