Saturday, May 31, 2008

A Little Rant On A Saturday


The hardest thing for me as a parent (so far) is to see my children in pain. Yesterday when I picked up Kennedy from school she asked if we had gotten an 'inbitation' in the mail from a certain friend in our ward who is also at her preschool. When I told her we hadn't she burst into tears, and not the fake kind either. I knew what the problem was. She had been telling me about the birthday party this little girl was going to have off and on for about 2 months. And Kennedy was sobbing because 'the birthday party is today and I didn't get an inbitation!' It broke my heart to see her so sad. It was a good opportunity to discuss how we can't all go to everything, though.

We had talked about it a little while ago when there was another church friend whose party she didn't get invited to but whose party details she had been told all about. Get this, her mother walked around church and into Kenna's classroom handing out (what I assume were) invitations to some kids/parents. When we didn't get one I preemptively took the opportunity to explain to Kennedy about party's. Even though inside I was thinking how uncouth that Mother had been flaunting the party (unintentionally I am sure) in front of uninvited kids. Of course you can't have every child to a party, and I certainly don't expect young kids not to talk about parties they are excited for. I do however, hope that the parents would at least attempt to be discreet. Anyway, yesterday I reminded Kenna of how party's work and tried to console her and tell her that even though she hadn't been invited it doesn't mean that her friend dislikes her etc. And again, this rant isn't about my child not being invited to something so much as her pain at being left out, which I know inevitably happens in life.

I always used to think parents in movies and stuff who talked about wanting to just 'take the pain away' from their children were cheesy. But that is exactly how I felt yesterday- my sweet little girl in the back seat of the car just sobbing while listing off all of the fun party activities she would be missing out on. I had the weirdest pull of feelings going on inside of me. Wishing so fervently that there was some way I could completely take this emotional pain from my child, and yet at the same time being grateful there wasn't actually a way because I know how important it is to have these experiences and to learn and grow.

Anyway, I took her with me to go see some friend's new baby. They used to be Kennedy's awesome Sunday school teachers and they named their new daughter Kennedy as well so it helped Kenna to forget the other stuff. Brooke (the Mom) and I were looking at baby Kennedy's cord and my Kennedy was totally taken aback by the whole thing. Oh, if you could only have seen the look on her face...That night when I was putting her to bed she was asking questions about belly buttons and the cords on the baby and then she put an end to the conversation by telling me, "Mom, let's not talk about baby belly-buttons anymore...it weirds me out."

9 comments:

Bell Family said...

That breaks my heart too Erin. But so hilarious for her to say the belly button deal weirds her out.

Jessie said...

Okay you have to tell me who these party parents are!
I know exactly that feeling you are having! I remember one time one of my boys coming up from playing with neighborhood kids and they were crying...one of the kids had said some horrible things to him. I wanted to march down there and kick his butt. I had to bite my tongue though....then I thought about saying something to the mom....then I thought it might make it worse. So I let it go but it totally twisted my insides too.
This was in our old neighborhood...I am sure no one in Ashburn would be that mean... :)
I am sorry some people are SO clueless.
Tell Kennedy she should have a little party before you guys leave and DO NOT invite those mean girls!
This is turning out to be a novel!

shellydinger said...

What a good mom you are. I'm convinced that the hardest part of parenting is going to be navigating all the social hurt that can be caused. I think you are doing an amazing job.

Anonymous said...

What an ackward, awful situation. My heart hurts for both of you! You're a good Mom to explain it all to her. I'm sure it won't be the last time she feels left out, unfortunately. She'll have her own party someday, with a limit of people to invite, and she'll understand better then maybe.
Should I send you all pics of my baby's black cord when he's born??
JK!
Rachel

MKB said...

That was so sad. I can't believe the mom didn't think about handing out the invitations in front of kids that weren't invited.

Heather said...

I hate these situations... at our house, it is usually one sister that gets invited and the other doesn't... it is a hard life. I told her it was her turn to go on a date with me! and we went to ice cream... sometimes that is all you can do. You are such a good mom.

Sheila said...

Belly buttons weird me out too! Poor Kenna. I know from the other end Audrey invited quite a few girls to her birthday party and there are a few that she "cut" from the list because they weren't as close friends and we had to narrow it down. Anyway, one of the girls was talking about how excited she was about the party at church in front of some girls that weren't invited. I felt bad and made a mental note to mention that (to her especially) next time we hand out invitations. We can't do it all...sigh.

Anonymous said...

oh erin, you are such an amazing mommy. poor kennedy...why must life be so complicated at times? and that free agency...;> i love the belly button story - i hope that we are able to get together and play while your here...
looks like everyone is enjoying the water park ;>

The Sorensons said...

That was such as sad story about Kennedy! I totally feel for her! I'm honored to be included in the "happy" part of your story! You should let Kennedy know that she'll be invited to every party that we throw...wait...we haven't really had one since our primary party she came to...maybe it's time for another one just for one. We love your family and we'll miss you guys so much!

lllllll