Monday, January 28, 2008

Gramps

Well, things never go quite as you expect do they? Last Friday afternoon as we were preparing to leave I got one of the worst phone calls. My grandpa had died suddenly of a massive heart attack. It was so unexpected, I was totally in shock for several hours after I got the news. I felt helpless because there was really nothing I could do to change our plans. I know he wouldn't have wanted me to do that anyway. There was a private viewing the next day and per his wishes he was cremated the following day. The whole thing is all still so surreal.
As you might guess my mood was less than jovial the first half of our trip. I felt guilty for being where I was and for enjoying myself which is stupid and I know it. And then sometimes I would not be thinking of him at all and then something would remind me of him and I would get teary out of nowhere. It has been tough trying to accept this reality.
What I want to say in regards to my Gramps is that as far as grandpas go- he always met or exceeded my expectations. He was a good man, not perfect, but one who tried to do right. He worked dang hard and had a thumb that was greener than Al Gore. Seriously- he was an amazing gardener. I won't bore you all with details and stories but I will just say that when I reflect on my childhood, nearly all of my fondest memories include my grandpa.
I was not looking forward to writing this post, and my fears have been confirmed as I feel my words are indeed grossly inadequate. Just know that this man was a superstar in my life and I will miss him terribly.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erin that is a great photo Nathan must have taken. I have not seen it before I don't think. Gramps was very proud of his girls and I am so glad he made it to the wedding and also that you were able to visit him . I know he enjoyed your timely correspondence. Avery nice post and I can still hear Kennedy saying " Where's Bob?".......Dad

Jessie said...

I am so sorry Erin! I was on vacation in Florida with Conwey..had just got down the the beach in Naples, Florida at the Ritz Carlton... when I got a phone call from my brother that my mom had died. It was awful! So I understand how you felt.
I am sure he was looking down at you guys on your trip and smiling.
He sounds like a great grandpa.
Didn't see you at church today..hope everything is okay. Let me know if I can do anything!

Hannah said...

How hard Erin! Sometimes timing can make things even more difficult...

Your grandpa sounds like a great man. I love the picture of him,; you can tell he just loves you :).

I hope your trip was still fun even though the sunshine couldn't quite seep through the clouds that had formed with your loss. Hope you're okay!

Anonymous said...

oh erin. i am so sorry for your loss. it isn't just amazing - amazing in a way that we don't want to believe...how fast things can change. thank goodness for the Gospel. my prayers are with you and family...it is so wonderful that you have such fond memories to think back on - those are priceless. take care! - if we weren't thousands of miles away i would love to run over a large dose of chocolate and soft tissues of course! :)

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry for your family's loss. Your grandfather was a great man. I only met him once that I can remember but I remember walking away thinking he really was great.

lllllll