Thursday, January 10, 2008

Tubes: Take Two

Right after we moved to VA Nathan and I noticed that Kennedy wasn't hearing properly. We took her in and found out that she had fluid in both ears that didn't get infected but just stayed in there keeping her ear drums from vibrating, thus the lack of hearing. So a set of tubes were put in and over the next few months I was surprised to find Kennedy had several ear infections (when tubes are in the infection just leaks out- yucky, but nice not to wonder if they do or don't have an infection, plus you just have drops to take care of it) though she never complains of pain. Eventually she started having blood coming out of her ears...disturbing the first time to be sure. But turns out it isn't a huge deal, just led us to find out her ears have continued to get infected and the pressure ended up pushing both tubes out and in a matter of days we were back to square one with a Kennedy who said, "Huh?" about a hundred times a day. So last night we got Kennedy's favorite dinner of "China Food" so she could fill up since she would be missing breakfast- and yes she has mastered the art of using chopsticks...showoff. Anyhow the surgery went well this morning minus the part where she proved she has some Wilcox in her by throwing up afterwards (like she did last time) from the anesthesia. She came home and called for Kohen to come up and snuggle with her which he gladly did and I'm not gonna lie, it made my day to see him comforting her. Of all the health problems I am grateful for this relatively minor problem that is easily fixed, and that generally our children are healthy.



8 comments:

hf said...

I hope these tubes last a little longer this time! Hope she's feeling better :)

Sarah said...

Poor baby, I'm so sorry that she has to go through that. It's a good thing she has a great brother like Kohen to make her feel beter. Also, I'm way impressed...I still can't use chop sticks!

Hannah said...

What a brave girl! I'm glad it went well. I love the Kohen comforted her...those are the moments we live for as mommies!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that Kennedy had to go through the tube thing again. I loved seeing Kohen being tender. You have great kids!

Kristin said...

That photo is so sweet! I am glad to hear that Kennedy is doing will....she is one tough girl!

Anonymous said...

What a great brother. That is one of the cutest things I have ever seen. My kids would just whine that the other could not play.

Jessie said...

It is always hard to have your kids go through surgery even if it is small. Jackson had to have surgery for get this....a very small sliver that had got infected.
It is stressful watching them go through it. Especially when they have to put them under.
I hope she is feeling better! Let me know if you guys need anything!

kristy said...

Oh brave little Kennedy! And what a sweet sweet brother. It makes me so excited to see how siblings interact (now that Rowan is close to getting his very own!) Sure miss you guys.

lllllll