Sunday, September 7, 2008

I'll Give That A Four


Last night I had just gotten the children settled and I was sitting on the floor trying to figure out the tv in the family room when out of no where there was the loudest noise that sounded like a freight train and the whole house started to shake. So obviously it was an earthquake- my first ever- but I got to tell you, it took me about 3 of the 4 seconds the house shook to make sense of what was happening. It was just so completely unexpected and it is funny to me now how my mind tried to make sense of something it didn't understand.

And it totally scared the crap outta me. I know 'crap' isn't a nice word but I am using it here because it is how I felt. Nathan had left to catch a flight up to the BYU game with his BIL's and Dad and so I was on my own. Immediately after the shaking stopped I hear Kennedy upstairs and as I go to her she says worriedly, "Mom, my bed was just shaking!" And then I had to act (emphasis on the word 'act') like I was calm and not afraid and try and explain to her what an earthquake was and wasn't that so cool... all the while trying not to let her see how shaken up I was...no pun intended.

I don't expect to always be a pansy about earthquakes. Really I don't, but this caught me so off guard and I was alone and I haven't learned what I should do in case of a dangerous earthquake, though I think I have a general idea. And I also spent the next half hour worried because Nathan's phone was out of service off and on on the way to the airport. But once I got a hold of him and learned he was fine (hadn't felt it) I went back to just worrying about me, lol. I didn't know if there would be more or if the one that happened was even a big deal somewhere else.

I found the news and learned that it was a 4.0 and the epicenter was about half and hour away but 10 miles below the surface...And when I opened up our home page on the computer and it was on CNN's headlines I felt a lot better about myself. Obviously it wasn't a huge earthquake but enough that it made me feel better about my newbie reaction. I think we have officially been welcomed to California.....

5 comments:

Kim Davis said...

Oh wow. I don't believe I've ever been in an earthquake myself and I hope to keep it that way. So glad you all are o.k.

hf said...

I hate trying to act like everything is fine when you're unsure yourself.

I don't blame your reaction though - I'd be freaking out thinking someone were breaking into the house first. lol!

Hannah said...

As a kid, I was in CA when and earthquake came but I slept through it. I was always really bummed that I missed out...I thought it would be so cool! ha ha. I bet in reality, I would be a little freaked out as well, especially with the husband gone.

Heather said...

Those kind on things ALWAYS happen when there is no hubby around. Thats when I look around wondering- I got married so he'd be here, where in the heck is he!!! Earthquakes can be crazy, I felt the big SF earthquake of 89 and we lived in sacramento! You handled that so well:)

Sheila said...

I remember one in Lewiston growing up. It woke me up in the morning because it was shaken pretty good. I recently opened up my 72-hour kit and noticed the underwear I had packed for Audrey now would almost fit Grace! Better get on that...

lllllll