Wednesday, September 23, 2009

L&D

Labor and Delivery are both so aptly named. There is no better word for what you must do to get that baby here, nor is there a better word for what happens to both Mom and baby when baby is born. In a previous conversation with Dr.E. Nathan had told him about how with Kohen and Aly our Dr. would deliver the head and then let Nathan do the rest and how cool it had been. He wasn't asking to the same here and hadn't expected anything so he was pretty surprised when Dr. E. showed up to deliver and pointed to a gown and told Nathan, "That's for you, you're gonna do this." Nathan was surprised and thrilled. Um, I was trying not to die at the moment so I wasn't paying that much attention. Very glad at this point to have Anna there, lol.

When the time came to deliver Ander, Dr. E. totally went into teaching mode and let Nathan do the entire delivery. I think it is incredibly cool now but in the moment I remember hearing the teaching going on and saying, "Please hurry!" thinking- two of us are extremely uncomfortable right now! But before I knew it Ander made his grand entrance into his father's arms. The cord was wrapped tightly around his neck twice so Dr. E. stepped in and undid the cord but otherwise it was a safe and completely natural delivery.
Dr. E. told us several times how Natural Births simply do not happen here, all the nurses had been really excited to see one, some nurses even peeked in the door to watch. Even Dr. E. had never delivered one completely natural until Ander. Everyone was giving me props and making me feel amazing. I did feel amazing.
Poor little guy, swollen face and nose make him look like he's been in the boxing ring
Proud, Proud Daddy
Dr. E, Nathan and the little man of the hour
Anna = The Best!
Little Ander chose a really great day to be born, he will share his birthday with his Auntie Natalie- if only I'd known that was what he was waiting for it would've been much easier to wait! It's really neat to think that both my mom and I went through the same huge life experience on the exact same day about 30 years apart (cue Circle of Life music). A special Happy Birth Day to both Natalie and Ander!!!!

9 comments:

Corinne said...

Hurray! I am so happy for you Erin! You did it and I knew you could. :)

Corinne said...

Way to go Nathan for doing the second coolest thing of the day...Erin laboring and birthing Anders wins top prize though!

Anonymous said...

How exciting and a great story to tell him later. I give you lots of props. The foreign country thing is not for me. :)

MKB said...

Dude...if you didn't live so far away I would totally make you an ice cream cake for doing it natural...YOU ROCK! But seeing as how it would totally melt WAY before it got to you I will just enjoy the next one I make for you!

CONGRATS!

UsdailyReader said...

I cried reading your blog. I know I'm a goober, but you're just a really good writer. Tell everyone hello for us.

Kathy Brant said...

Wow... I really do not know how you do it all! The pic. of the baby with the cord around his neck was so scary to me. I think of you and all your goings on and I get tired. And one word comes to mind WOW!I love how you turn everything into a positive learning experience.I Love you Aunt Kathy

Hannah said...

Erin, thank you for this whole story. I love all of it, and I'm so glad that it all worked well. What an adventure! You did it! And way to go Nathan too...it may even make Sam a little jealous. Keep the pictures coming, we are so thrilled for you.

Rachel said...

I love labor stories, so fun to read about. I had both my babies natural too, no drugs. Why did you decide not to? That's kinda funny that no-one there ever goes natural. And you're right, that was one grimy hospital. Ander is precious! I love your kids's names. And I love reading your blog, by the way. I wish that we had gotten to hang out when we wre in Boise. I can just tell we would have had fun together :).

Jessie said...

Erin I love his name! So cute! I loved being able to be a part of all this through your blog! I love that pic of you on the bed! Not too sure about that hospital you were in though! You look great! Congrats..he is beautiful!

lllllll