Saturday night I was feeling pretty down and wondering how I could possibly go to church and face everyones pity filled looks and condolences/advice on how to kick start things. I was determined to go but not looking forward to it. Then at 12:30am Kohen comes up the stairs in the middle of an attack of the Croup. If I hadn't had an inhaler we would have been heading to the hospital as he was turning red and his lips were blue. After the episode and everything settled back down it hit me- someone had to stay home with our sick son, I selflessly volunteered.
Sunday I spent snuggled up with Kohen watching a movie. I thought the pic was cute, proof we are being influenced in Asia where everyone wears masks all of the time when sick. He showed up with his favorite stuffed seal wearing a mask made from his pirate eye patch. Clever boy. Sunday ended as labor-less as every other day.
Monday morning I woke with a start at 6 am to my water breaking. YES!!!!!!!! I was SO happy, proof positive I wasn't going to be pregnant forever! I jumped in the shower, humming to myself and cheery as could be. It wasn't long before I realized that though my water had broken there weren't any contractions suddenly happening... We took our time (6 hours) getting things gathered and kids ready -school was off Monday and Tuesday so we arranged a babysitter and dropped them off on our way to the hospital. That's where the weirdness began.
We were shown to the one and only Labor and Delivery room and they left us alone to change. We both freaked out at first thinking the red on the chest of the gown was blood but thankfully it was just some symbol. Then we were just looking around and busting up in a kind of laugh or cry type of deal, at what a crazy situation we were in. Who woulda thought we'd be in a grimey Asian hospital having a baby?! If you dare you can enlarge the pics. PS.- I was still wearing shorts with the shot of me in the gown so I'm not quite as indecent as I may appear. No excuse for the pasty legs though.
Next the nurses came in ready to give me an IV with fluids, a shave and an enigma. I smiled and pointed to each thing and said "No. No. And No." They had the hardest time figuring out why I only wanted the IV line put in with a lock- I think it truly blew their mind that I wasn't getting an Epidural. They were nice about it all though.
Eventually Nathan went out and asked the nurses if we could go walk now as contractions weren't happening and the Dr. had already told me we could- there was a bit of an uproar from them with the best line being, "No! She's at a 3, the baby might come out!" Nathan insisted they call Dr.E and of course he confirmed it was fine. Then Nathan pushed his luck by joking that we wouldn't go too far, "just to the 101" -the skyscraper about a 20 min. drive away. There were shouts of "NO!" and "That's too far!" before he could explain to them he was joking.
So we went walking and I'd have contractions but I could walk and talk through them and when I stopped walking they nearly stopped as well. At 3pm Anna, the Doula showed up and we went walking laps again and this is when active labor finally started. It was weird though, they were never that consistent of contractions. Some would be extremely strong and I'd have to stop and breathe through, then the next one wouldn't be quite so bad. I was convinced I wasn't getting anywhere. When we stopped for a potty break Anna realized she had forgotten to tell us it is pretty much B.Y.O.E.- Bring Your Own Everything. You get a little TP and that's it. No paper towels for drying hands, no tissue, no disposable underwear etc. So she ran down to the little outdoor market that sells all the stuff that you'd need at the hospital and stocked up.
When she returned I was checked and making progress so we walked some more and by the time we went back to the room it wasn't long at all before I started transitioning and before I knew it there was the usual flurry of nurses (I always wonder, why the flurry? It's not like it's a surprise what we are there to do) and everyone was preparing for Ander's arrival.



10 comments:
ERIN! I'm so so glad you had your beautiful baby boy and everything went well. You're pictures are great and I absolutely loved reading about it. Congratulations! I can't wait to see more pictures and adventures of you and your amazing family.
LOVED reading that. seriously you have a gift :> LOVE that everyone is well, healthy and home now. you are amazing and it is obvious that you have an amazing husband as well. serious, hand gestures! priceless. thanks for sharing the story - and ander is a lucky handome little lad. look at the love just oozing out for him. can't wait to hear more of the adventures :> take care supermom.
Erin, thank you for telling us every little detail of your labor and delivery. I'm just dying that I couldn't be there right when you had Ander. Which is such a cute name btw. I loved all the pics with your kids at the hospital too. It reminded me of how fun and chaotic it can get. Wow! Now you have four little ones. I miss you tons!
kj
What a birth story! I don't think any of the aunties can top that one! I wonder what the nurses would have thought if Grandpa Norm were in the room like for Tara and Amber! Maybe you have started a natural childbearing revolution in Asia. Someday you will be known as the Mother of Modern Birthing!
Your kids are so cute. I wish I were there to help out and give hugs. Ander sure looks like one of the family and is beautiful.
Tell Nathan I was sorry I missed his call the other night. He is a stud. Literally. (hehehe)
Lots of love!
Trevi
The top picture=best ever!! Erin, you rock!! Congrats!
Mike
Erin, CONGRATS!! I am 3 days late checking your blog, the longest I've ever gone. Incredible, all of it. Thanks for sharing details. Ander is a cute baby and an equally cute name! I hope feeding and healing are going well. Tell Nathan good job as well!
~Rachel
Congratulations! You're an amazing woman Erin!!!! The name Ander will be great. I'm glad to hear you decided on that.
Yay!! I'm so happy to hear that he arrived safely and that you are doing well too. It was fun to hear the whole story with all the details. You have such a beatiful family. Enjoy your newborn!!
ERIN!!! Wow!! This story was amazing and you are incredible! I am so thrilled for you and Nathan. Laughing hard at the "Taipei 101" false alarm - Asians do not get sarcasm, which is an endless source of entertainment to Ken and I. But anyway...seriously, I am in awe of what you did. Take care!!!
Loved hearing your birth story. You are a brave woman!! You look amazing too! Congrats again!
Post a Comment