Saturday, September 19, 2009

Super Sized Grasshopper

Can you believe the size of this hopper we found in our yard? They are huge! They are even bigger than the 'Mormon Crickets' you occasionally find in Idaho which is saying something is it not?
I was trying to help Kohen secure the big guy in the net while the girls looked on ready to bolt at a seconds notice. Through the net this guy kicked my hand and I was so shocked at how strong he was I kinda freaked out and almost peed my pants. Nathan was enjoying the whole show thoroughly.
The finale happened as Kohen was trying to tap the guy into his box and the hopper flew and landed on innocent bystander Kennedy's legs. Kennedy and Aly started screaming bloody murder and and Nathan and I scrambled to get the hopper off of her before someone called the cops on us. Kennedy actually cried she was so scared and so I took the girls away to comfort them and left Nathan to help Kohen with the critter.
Kennedy settled down and said, "I wish Caleb was here, he'd know what to do with that big thing!" Caleb is her cousin, you may remember the giant slug from a summer post??? She is right though, he is just the kid for the super sized critters around these parts.

7 comments:

hf said...

Eeewwwww. I would have screamed too! That thing was a beast!

Anonymous said...

I think those are the ones they cook and cover in chocolate for a tasty treat...mmmmmmm LOL Dad

Anonymous said...

Caleb is SOOOOO jealous! His pet praying mantis died yesterday and his pet crickets got loose in the house. His pet grassopper is the size of that other guy's head! You obviously live in bug-boy paradise. Lots of love to Kennedy! Way to go Kohen!

Love, Trevi and Caleb

Marianne and Brad said...

I am totally on kennedy's side! if that thing jumped on me i think i might've freaked out too!! haha

shellydinger said...

So you traded snakes in your back yard for cat-sized grasshoppers. Both sound terrible, but I think grasshoppers are the better choice! I Love love love Kohen's expression in that 1st pictures - I got such a laugh out of picturing his response!

Rosemary said...

This posting made me lol for sure! Love you guys.

Sarah said...

Okay, that just freaks me right out! That thing is HUGE!

lllllll