Saturday, December 1, 2007

STRIKE!

That is IT! I've had it! If all of the Writer's of the world think they can just go on strike then fine, I am going on strike against their strike (Take that, Kablam! right to their Solar Plexus!). If you haven't heard or noticed, well first of all, good for you. You have a life. But some of us are acutely aware that the Writer's Guild has gone on strike and they took with them all of the good TV! Hello!!!??? Could they not have waited another month or two until my husband was home so I would have something to do with myself at night other than disassociate in front of the boob-tube? And it has been weeks now, all of the shows have gone into reruns and I am left sitting here thinking, 'how long does it really take to solve this problem?!' I mean really, where is the Mediator to tell the Writer's Guild to 'Use Their Words' and get back to work!!!
Surfin' through the channels and I got nothin here...what have I got? I've got reruns of MASH* (The theme song alone makes me feel suicidal) I've got Deal or No Deal...NO DEAL! And I've got all manner of sports which = all manner of wasted channels.......I need something to get my mind off of the reality of my days. I don't know if you guys know this but I have a tumor on my leg. It's bad. It's big. It comes and goes all day but it is always at it's worst between 4-6pm when I am desperately trying to get dinner made. I call her Aly. She makes it difficult to get anything done and someday, Allah willing, I hope to have her removed. Not far. Just off my leg....I think I need a break. Maybe the spa. And I don't mean the facial I get when I open the dishwasher in the middle of the cycle. The real deal. Or maybe I just need tv.
Seriously, how long could this strike last? Where are all the "scabba's" like from Newsies? I'll be a scabber, but I am warning you now- I'm going to draw from my life experiences. Take the show The Biggest Loser. I will implement a fool proof plan to 'Eat Less and Exercises More'. It goes like this: The contestants will have the opportunity to feed my children a meal. In one half hours time they will have worked up a good sweat and will have had only a bite or two to eat. They can enjoy a chorus of 'Can I have a drink? Can I have ice? I need ranch! I spilled my ranch! I need a napkin! I dropped my napkin! Can I have more cheese? Kohen ate my cheese! Aly's making a mess! I spilled my drink! Can I have more drink?'....I'm sweating just thinking about it. And hungry. Yes, if I wrote for TV, shows like The Office would be about a stay at home mom, Desperate Housewives would be about women who try to just get out of their pajamas before their husbands get home from work and the Amazing Race would chronicle the mad dash to the Restroom with your respective 2 yr old who 'has to go' just as soon as you get to the opposite side of Costco.
See, if I had an hour or so of good TV at night I wouldn't have to go all rage-against-the-machine on my blog. I would curl up on the couch and I wouldn't bother anybody. But since I am officially 'striking against the strike' I am off to go read a book.

12 comments:

shellydinger said...

You are a natural! I would much rather watch t.v. that you had authored than what is currently on (although I agree with you - it isn't much). James is heading for finals and I'm in the same boat t.v. wise. Keep posting, you are officially my main source of entertainment right now.

Anonymous said...

Erin, you crack me up!

Bonnie

Marianne and Brad said...

uhhh tell me about it! Greys, private practice, the office, prison break, desperate housewives??? what is this world coming to!!! i need my break!

Kristin said...

I couldn't agree more....finals are underway here to and I will not have my night ruined with another re-run....I recently discovered just how much I love PBS. I am with you, a book sounds great. What are you reading?

Anonymous said...

I agree! I watch way too much tv and my displeasure lately makes me realize just how much! You are very entertaining and I don't know what I'd do without your blog.
Rachel

ej said...

I just finished 'Ahab's Wife' and I thought it was actually really good, very interesting. I can't remember the name of the other book I just started...it has made that big of an impression!

Sarah said...

Well, I am happy to report that Broadway is officially back...Keep your fingers crossed that the TV writers come to an agreement and are next!

Kenley said...

I had to laugh when you said the theme song from MASH makes you suicidal. It may be coincidence or you may have had a clever plan in mind, but, the theme from MASH is actually titled "Suicide is Painless". The connection is almost to much!

Now, start writing episodes so I can enjoy TV over the Christmas break!

ej said...

I totally didn't know that! How funny! Suicide might be painless, unless they are playing that song! :)

Corinne said...

Erin- you are seriously hilarious!

Sheila said...

Erin & Kenley - I am totally with you on the MASH song. When that comes on I am DIVING for the remote to adjust the volume! It must be a silent nightmare from our childhoods? I didn't know it was titled that either. Kenley, how do you know all these interesting facts?

Jessie said...

Oh my gosh you have me laughing. I feel the same way about Sienna right when it's time to make dinner she starts tuggin on my leg! Why is that?
I agree about the stinkin strike too. Seriously why can't they just pay the writters what they want and get on with it.
That is why I to am surfing the blogs tonight instead of being in my cozy bed with a good show on!

lllllll