Friday, December 7, 2007

Let Me Explain

So did anyone happen to notice that I sent out my Christmas cards literally on December 1st? At the time I felt fine about it but now that a few days have passed I am starting to feel a bit overzealous. I actually have good reason though so let me explain before you go all judgemental on me thinking that I am just Ms. Eager Beaver to have everyone see a moderate to poor picture of my 3 little darlings. Nathan has been gone for several months now for work and has only been able to come home some weekends. I find it funny how I wrote that last sentence like it isn't that big of a deal. In every way you can imagine it has been a big deal. Anyway, Nathan will officially be done December 20th and the kids and I are counting the days; literally, we made a paper chain count down so we could visualize how close we are getting. So this holiday season I am finding that I am really trying to hurry everything along just so that Nathan will be home! I have been irritated for weeks now that the Toys For Tots drop off were no where to be found (in November) for us to do our traditional FHE where the kids go and drop off a toy that they picked out. I am restraining myself from dropping off goodies to friends cuz it's so early they might think we are trick or treating...backwards. So this is why everyone got Christmas cards Dec. 3rd, because subconsciously I'm trying to check the things off of my list that need to be done before Christmas so maybe it will get here faster...it's not working. I feel like how you do when everyone is hiding with the lights off waiting to surprise the guest of honor, except for no one comes through the door -and so here I sit blogging when you can guess how much laundry is waiting patiently to be done (here's a hint: If I don't do it tonight it's going to look a lot like a nudist colony around here tomorrow). Anyway, I hope you will excuse how ardently I've approached this Holiday Season, this year we are excited for not so much Santa, as Nathan, to come to town.





In other news, it snowed yesterday. Kohen quickly proved that Wilcox (specifically Justin Wilcox) blood runs through his veins. There was no containing Kohen. Even when there was initially only a dusting he kept telling me in his most convincing voice, "It's nough mom, see? It's nough!" trying to make me let him out to play. He and Kennedy ended up spending about an hour and a half out back playing. Neither Aly or I knew what to do with ourselves. Kenna and Kohen playing out in the snow is good for all of us! Today it is melting away and Kohen is desperate to go out again. My excuse that it was 'mostly just water with a little bit of snow on top' didn't seem to dissuade him like it does me. I am feeling guilty now so I have to keep telling myself it will snow again and Kohen won't someday be laying on the therapist's couch saying, "and my mom wouldn't even let me play in the snow!" No, I'm sure we will have given him lot's of other things to talk about.

8 comments:

shellydinger said...

I would be hurrying December along too. I was really excited to get your card! I was gonna wait for awhile to send mine, and then I thought "If Erin can send hers, then I can send mine" and I promptly ran to the mailbox. It's never too early for Christmas.

Hokie Family said...

Hey Erin-
The picture of your kids and family is perfect. We have only one semi-good picture of our family lately, and I didn't get make-up on that day. It's the BYU picture on our blog. Hey I really feel for you. Hope time flies by. It was great to get your card. Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow!

Erica said...

There is nothing wrong with being an eager beaver! Now you can sit back and enjoy the holiday countdown for Nathan's return.
I am anxious to re-enter the wonderful world of blogging and I am happy to see that you have added my link to yours! Yeah!

Hannah said...

Erin! You must be so exhausted. I didn't realize that Nathan had been gone for so long. I would be just like you and would do everything I could think of to "speed" up time.

Plus, I always pay the most attention to the first christmas cards I get anyway. :)

Unknown said...

EJ:
i think describing your family photo as "moderate to poor" is a little harsh! Who took that picture for you anyways??

Mike

ej said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ej said...

I guess I was thinking more Christmas Cards in general...Plus, if my kids aren't looking their cutest in the picture, that wouldn't be the photographers fault anyway...we love Tara taking pictures for us!!! She did great with the uncooperative subjects she had that day.

Unknown said...

EJ:
I'm just teasing you--and since my kids just received an awesome Christmas gift in the mial from your kids--i better stop bust'n your chops!! Thanks for the sweet book.

Mike

lllllll