Friday, December 14, 2007

Santa @ Preschool





Today was Kennedy's Preschool Christmas Party. She is still at the high school where there is a main teacher and then a bunch of H.S. student teachers. Check out the heights of the kids in her class; fun fact: Kennedy is by far the oldest in her class being 5. To put in perspective what a mini cooper she is, the little girl standing to her left just turned 3.
So Santa made an appearance but the highlight for me was how Kohen was so thrilled to be at Kenna's school. He brought his backpack in the car and had put a dinosaur inside for 'show and tell'- I had to do some fancy talking to get him out of the car without it. Luckily there was pizza and quite a spread of junk food to distract him.
Really all 3 of my little ones have cough/colds and Kohen and Aly probably shouldn't even be out but what are you gonna do? Aly was diggin the small chair and table but taking forever to eat a rice crispy treat. I knew I was in for a scene because she was feeling crummy overall but really content right where she was. So I tried to ease her into our departure but she was having none of it.
Eventually I had to just pick her up and she started screaming -though since she is sick it sounded more like growling- and she threw everything she had into doing what I call 'the bucking bronco'. I have no idea how she manages to buck her whole body like that- but I digress. As I struggled with a bucking and screeching Aly while herding Kohen and Kenna towards the door the whole room stopped to watch Aly's recreation of Chernobyl. I'm used to stares but what was killing me was the dozen or so high school students who just stood where they were, poised like they were still in conversation with a friend but everyone had stopped to watch. I probably looked really kooky cuz when one of my lovelies is melting down I just press forward with a smile on my face but for some reason the high schoolers really unnerved me. I considered shouting, "ABSTINENCE young people...ABSTINENCE!" as I struggled for the exit...
I will excuse Alyssa's outburst because she isn't well and it was my bad for dragging her out anyway. Kohen did tell me on the way home that he didn't feel well but that he thought popcorn would make him feel better. As I chuckled to myself he threw in that he thought hot chocolate would help him feel better too.

5 comments:

Hannah said...

It's so nice to hear that other people's children have meltdowns in public too! It's never good when your child starts doing the "bucking bronco" in a shopping cart! And, the stares really are frustrating...you can just tell the thoughts that are crossing their minds..."Can't you control that kid?" or "If I had kids, I would be such a better mother than you." I think it would have been GREAT if you had yelled out ABSTINENCE! Maybe you should go back and give a lecture...

Anonymous said...

Seester, I'm pretty sure you are my hero! I agree, you should have yelled out the abstinence line ;)

Jana said...

Hey Erin- I came across your blog from a link on Heather's. Look at your adorable little pumpkins. They are so dang cute!!

The Crowley's said...

So great, i love it only because its not my kids. I feel for you though because we get that everytime we leave the store with abby and haven't bought her the giant stuffed animal or something crazy like that. Kohen's sweater is so cute, maybe I love it so much because Michael has the same one- good taste. Thanks also for the book, Abby was very excited. Amber

hf said...

Your kids look so cute and preppy. I've seen that glued on smile of yours while dealing with the kids...I can just picture it now!

lllllll