
So as you all know I have spent the week fretting about having to speak in our church Sacrament meeting today. When I was asked to give the 15 min talk my first question was, "Can I show a video?" which would have been a lot funnier if Bro. H. would have realized I was joking. I tried everything to get out of it. I even breathed in all of my sick husband and children's breath hoping to develop pneumonia. When I told my mom that she said, "you don't really want to be in the hospital" and I replied, "yeah I would. That would be a real day off." Of course I was being dramatic. I know how serious Pneumonia can be (i.e. Tara's 8 inch scar across her ribs) but I needed everyone to know I really didn't want to do this. So I work on the talk and thanks to Shelly's input I got things headed in the right direction and Saturday night I am feeling surprisingly good. Nathan and I are headed out for a date night when he casually says to me, "I don't know if this is going to be good news or bad news..." Which always means, he knows and it's bad news. He had invited two of his good guy friends (who are not LDS) from his work to come and listen to me speak at church!!!!!! Oh no he didn't!!! Please no!! But yes, yes he had. I was totally sick to my stomach with nerves. These two guys are really great and they were coming to support me as much as from their curiosity I am sure. And I know you are thinking that this would actually be the perfect day to have friends come to church- and you are right I am sure but stop thinking that because, hello? you are supposed to be on my side!!!
Anyway, I tossed and turned all night and had various talk-related nightmares. Morning rolls around and I feel completely wiped out. The nerves build all morning until I find myself sitting up on the stand waiting for my turn to speak and playing an odd game I made up named 'I'd-rather-be'. The game was over when I realized that at that moment I would rather be in labor than about to do what I was going to do...again with the dramatics. But I really meant it at the time. Anyhoo, I gave the talk and it must have gone alright because nobody stood up and shouted, "BOOO! BOOOO!" like that creepy witch lady from Buttercup's nightmare in Princess Bride. And I actually have a good sense of accomplishment tonight though I am totally exhausted due to my lack of restful sleep last night and wearing my self out with pointless- but total compulsory- stressing. It makes me wonder why I am up blogging in sheer delirium rather than tucked into bed...If I read this tomorrow I don't know if I'll mean it...anybody want a peanut?



11 comments:
Erin you are so funny! I am glad you talk went well. I think we should organize a "talk swap". I would love a drawer full of talks, that way I could pull one out and go. I totally put everything off...maybe I should have a copy of your talk?
From the congregation, you would have had NO idea you were up there thinking, "I'd rather be in labor." You did a fabulous job, and looked wonderful and very composed! Isn't is funny how our brains can drive us crazy sometimes? It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who gets stressed out to the point of insomnia and dramatics. :) A little bit of drama always makes me feel better...it's like an outlet for my stress. I hope you got a good night sleep! Though if you're like me, the good sleep will come tonight because last night would have been the unwinding night.
You crack me up! It seems to me that you would be best public speaker ever and I would jump at the chance to hear you speak. In fact I second Kristin's idea. I want to see a copy of your talk. What did your 2 non-member friends think?
What Kristin failed to mention is fact that her 'farm boy' delivered her talk for her. The 'pull one and go' comment made me laugh. I have a feeling that it would be 'pull one and break into a cold sweat, whine and whinge for several hours and then sulk and sigh out the door, only to fume and fret on the stand and then shiver and deliver at the pulpit!'
I'm sure that your talk was wonderful and enlightening to all that heard it.
PS - Kristin, it will always be 'as you wish'. But you will never live it down! :D
The two friends are still our friends so they appreciated it, and Kenley- 'shiver and deliver'? lol thats about right!
Alright, I have been forced out of the closet by my own husband and now you need the background. The last time I had to give a talk in church I worried so much that Kenley basically wrote my talk for me. Then the stress got to me so bad I ended up getting a bladder infection on the day of my talk (lucky me) and could not even make it into church. I went to the hospital instead and Kenley spoke for the entire meeting! So, there it is. If I had known I would still be telling the story and never live it down I would take the talk anyday! It is a darn good thing Kenley is so long winded :)
Erin your talk was really good and I was in the back sick and it kept my attention! You didn't seem nervous at all. I thought both you and Jonathan did really good so it was a good day for non-members to be there!
Thanks Jessie- hope you are feeling better and you didn't somehow get the pneumonia I was wishing for myself :(
And Kristin, that was really sweet of Kennley to do that for you. Isn't it amazing in an unpleasant way, how our bodies react to stress? Not my favorite thing...
I'm sure you all do a terrific job at speaking... love the dramatics though Erin and all the Princess Bride ties; you guys crack me up! Glad you're done though, for another year maybe?
You're braver than I am. I turn them down when they come knocking at my door for the talks. No matter how persistent they are...I stick to my guns...NO talks!! for now at least. I think the older I get the harder it is to put myself out there. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Oh well. I am sure you did great!
You did such a great job--I'd say you are a natural and I'd love to hear you give a talk again! ha ha
Honestly, you did great and just think--you are done for a very long time!!!!!!
Post a Comment