Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Traditions

Here are a few of our favorite traditions:

1- First is the Family Home Evening where we go to the store and the kids each get to pick out a toy to give to Toys For Tots. Then we go to a Fire Station and drop them off. This can be difficult with little ones who don't understand that the toy isn't for them, so this is the first year the children got to choose. Before I just found a good deal and brought it home for them to then drop off. This year the firetruck had just come back from a call and 2 Firemen invited us in to see the trucks and gear. Kohen was in awe. It made this years trip there even more special. On the way home I asked the children if they had a good feeling in their heart when they gave that brand new toy away to someone who needed it more and when they answered 'yes' I explained that that good feeling was the Holy Spirit telling them that they had done a good thing. Never one to leave good enough alone I prattled on for a few moments before Kennedy interrupted and politely asked, "Mom? Can you be quiet? I am trying to listen." Confused, it took me a minute to realize she didn't mean me but the Holy Spirit.~




2- I had this idea a couple of years ago but didn't think the kids were old enough until this year. Since they are going to be getting new toys at Christmas we spent an FHE filling up a trash bag full of their toys that they decided they were done with and ready to donate to someone who might need them more. This went so much better than I expected- after I assured Kennedy it was completely up to them what they did or didn't give and we cleared up that they couldn't donate their siblings stuff ("I think Kohen is done with this" Kenna said as she tried to donate Kohen's favorite truck) it went really smoothly and they were so excited to give their toys away and I feel great cuz now we have space for new gifts, everyones happy.





3- Then we have Mr.Peeps. Sound creepy? Well, to me too at first but this is the best tradition so far. We heard this at a parenting class and they gave us a poem about Peeps explaining how he works. So the story goes, Santa sends Peeps to watch the kids and he reports back every night to the North Pole how the kids have been that day and so he is then in a different place each morning. This works so unbelievably well I wish Peeps was here all year. All I have to say is "Peeps is watching" (which would sound creepy under any other circumstance) and the whining voice is swallowed back or the toy is relinquished or a whack turns into a pat on the back, it is hilarious to watch. But I have had my eye out to find a smaller elf to take over so Peeps can retire (the only elf I could find is about a foot long and has a porcelain face and hands, too big and fragile). My friend April alerted me to The Elf On A Shelf and I am all about it. A book to explain the tradition, a small movable Elf to hide in lots more places more easily- perfect. Same tradition, same results- but easier!



4- Christmas Stories- This is another favorite because my children seriously look forward to it so much. I have accumulated some great Christmas/Christ themed books over the last few years, my favorite being I Believe In Santa Clause because it compare Christ and Santa and teaches how Santa is a symbol of Christmas and so, Yes we believe in Santa Clause- it doesn't sound so special when I explain it but trust me it is simple in it's spiritual ties to Christmas. I think the key to keeping the books special is that I pack them away each year with the Christmas decorations.

So that is just a few of our favorite traditions that we have started over the years~ hope you've enjoyed~ I'd love it if anyone wants to share their favorite traditions in the comments!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE LOVE your traditions and i am totally going to steal them...of course at 2 1/2 years, 1 one and 5 months old they aren't too hip on 'my ideas' of Christmas traditions, but i really do love them and will use them for years to come. way to be an tremendously clever mom! your family is too cute it so great to keep up with jensen happenings!

Sarah said...

Those are great traditions. I really want to go find that book now...I've never even heard of it.

Jana said...

That Mr. Peeps is a great idea, but I do think you should get a new elf..he is scary looking to me. :)

Erica said...

Love your traditions! I might just steal the Mr. Peeps one from you! Anything to get my kids to behave! I still need to find the Christ/Santa book! Well, the count-down to Nathan's return is only 2 days now! YEAH! We are happy for you guys!

Hannah said...

These are such great traditions! I want to do them all! It makes me excited for the future when Erica can actually understand some of these things.

Kristin said...

I love your traditions! As soon as Cora is old enough I am going to borrow your elf idea....although I wish it would work now! How do you teach a 9 month old not to touch the radiators?!! I hope snow comes your way, I am already counting down until spring!

Corinne said...

So fun Erin! Thank you for sharing your special traditions with us. I am totally going to steal them. :)

Jessie said...

Your traditions are great! I think my kids might be too old to believe in Mr. Peeps. Bummer!
Maybe I can start it with Sienna though....

lllllll