Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Spring Teaser



Today and yesterday we have been having spring teaser days. It was almost 70 degrees yesterday and so I pretty much banished the older two outside in the afternoon. After jumping on the trampoline for a few minutes Kohen abandoned his sister for dirt. He played what felt like forever shoveling the dirt from the garden into buckets and his dump truck, and he actually listened for once and kept his cast clean.

Then taking my cousins suggestion I filled a bin with rice, laid out a vinyl tablecloth and let Kennedy 'cook' to her hearts content. She is so meticulously clean that when she plays not a grain of rice is misplaced. I can tell the rice is going to be a favorite around here.

Nathan had gone running for an hour or so before dinner and so after the kids were down it was my turn to go indulge my addiction. I know it is an addiction because I can feel the anticipation building as I get closer to getting a fix. I round the last corner and there it is in all it's red and white ringed glory...my Target! Just seeing the sign gets my endorphins going. As usual I find a front spot because let's face it, the store is happy to see me too. I am convinced the store somehow saves front spots for it's favorite customers. I practically skip inside and head for the Customer Service counter to do my ritual return- I've always got one. Then I browse the $1 section and see if there is anything that I don't need. This is where I get out impulse buys, it's much safer here. Then the search is on for the little red tag. I don't know why I get such a high off finding stuff that is on sale at this store. But on the tag there is always the 'was' price and the 'now' price just in case I'm too delirious with my find to do the math on 50% off myself. Now that is customer service. I often put several things in my cart as I stroll around enjoying hearing the occasional crying child and though I always feel empathy for the mother, it is pure j-o-y that for once it isn't me and my little ones. Eventually I put 9 out of 10 things back and drive away in a relaxed and fulfilled mood.

When I get home Nathan plays along as I show him some stunning find with an impressive red tag and I always point out, "look honey! It was this and now it's this!!!" and though he is smiling and nodding proudly and playing his part, I know inside he is thinking, 'yes dear, 30% off an orange and puce Christmas Tree skirt ...this will be very useful for Easter'. He has long since learned he can ruin the night by sharing these thoughts out loud. And it wouldn't be worth the ruffle anyway cuz by now he knows that next time I head to Target the tree skirt will be returned anyway. You can judge my admittedly ridiculous behavior if you want but let's just say this: Some people drink. Some people do drugs. Some people jump off skyscrapers attached to a rubber band. I, do Target.

9 comments:

Sheila said...

We're supposed to have some spring teaser days come Friday! Then it will probably snow...
I'm glad Target is your fix vs. other options but if I buy, I keep. No time for returning. I have learned the "red tag" trick will work for yard sales too. If I write a price and put a big red line through it and mark it down...it goes out the door! Psych on you! ;)

Hannah said...

I can't ever go to target unless I KNOW I have money in my budget, because I always find something (often more than one) that I need. So, seeing as it is now march, I took a trip to target today too...it felt so good to finally get those "spatulas" and "rubbermaid containers." I have a slight obsession with organizational products :).

Anonymous said...

I am the same way with Target....I went in the other day for a piece of poster board and 150.00 dollars later I am loading my car with things I just had to get.
That place just sucks ya in....
You write about it so hilarious though.....

Jessie said...

FYI this is Jessie not Hunter.....

Sarah said...

I LOVE TARGET! I get caught up in their shoes though. I mean sometimes there is nothing but other times there are fantastic shoes all over the place. I could spend hours in Target and be perfectly happy. So, I hear ya!

Jessica said...

Hey Erin!
How the heck are you? Your kids are adorable, and I too love target. Just went there yesterday to find a pair of shoes, but nothing too exciting was found. Sad days... just as an FYI I started my own little blog... wishin-i-was-loungin.blogspot.com... come visit sometime! love ya

Anonymous said...

so my ? is...how did you get into my brain like that??? amen to that blog. i am addicted to Target adn steal of deals i find there for the all the things i don't need and sometimes could use. :> you have such a talent for writing - i was laughing the whole time - self indulgently of course thinking oh my gosh me TOO! here's to target.

Heather said...

Tar-je`. We say it like the French cause we love it too!!!

Anonymous said...

You are so funny!!!! I love Target too so I just try to stay away! However, (let me know when you see a deal~)

lllllll