Monday, April 23, 2007

Public Service Announcement

HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?
A. Got in fist fight with lady on Metro
B. Had Skin cancer spot removed
C. Fell down the stairs...again
Answer is B. Can you believe it? I had my first skin cancer spot removed by way of MOHs Surgery almost 2 weeks ago. My good friend Amber who grew up in California brought my attention to the fact that skin cancer was a possibility even at a young age when she had some Basal cell cancer spots removed. I finally had a small flesh colored bump under my right eye checked out and after a biopsy learned that it too was Basal Cell Carcinoma (the 'good' kind of skin cancer, if there is such a thing). I first noticed it when I was about 25 and the only thing that made it suspicious to me was that sometimes I noticed the shape would change slightly. Any way, I think I was shocked that at 25 I developed skin cancer. But I have learned a lot about all of this and I will share some of what the Skin Cancer Specialist who removed the spot with the MOHs Surgery- taught me (if you read about it scroll down and there are pictures showing step by step what is done during the procedure.). The way they reconstruct is interesting too. Since the area they removed is circular you can't just stitch it up because it would pucker and pull awkwardly. Instead they made incisions to the side of it as well and then sewed it shut. I ended up with stitches below the skin and 4 or 5 above. I was told I would likely have a black eye and was bitterly disappointed when it only turned green...I know, I know, you are thinking "I could give ya a black eye!"- Hardy-har-har...I figure if I have to have a hole dug in my face the least they could do is give me the black eye they promised! :) Here are a few interesting things the Dr. taught me. The damage that likely caused this spot happened about 20 years ago which means I was around 5. I told him, "Wonderful. That means my face is going to shrivel up and fall off at about 35!" I spent several summers as a teenager laying out in the sun against my parents advice, of course, and now I want to just kick myself. Anyway, he went on to say that every time our skin is exposed to sun it damages the DNA. However our bodies are amazing in their ability to fix themselves and when there is sun exposure the DNA can usually heal and fix itself...until you get a sunburn. Then your system is so overwhelmed trying to fix all of the damage that sometimes damaged DNA gets by without getting fixed and turns into skin cancer. But he said it isn't just sunburns that will cause skin cancer, and he used this example to illustrate: If skin cancer cost $1,000 then a sunburn would be $300. Tanning would be $50 and a 10 minute walk in the sun would be 10 cents. So basically, it doesn't take very many sunburns to cause skin cancer. The moral of the story is to wear sunscreen everyday (there are several lotions with spf. in it and lots of moisturizers for your face that have it.) and if you will have prolonged exposure you must reapply the sunscreen every few hours. So, now that I have posted a picture of my face that was more close up than I am comfortable with- do me a favor and wear your sunscreen!
ps- In under two weeks the incision is already fading. I can't believe what a good job the Dr. did, I am completely amazed and grateful!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

lllllll