Nathan left out of town for a few days Wednesday morning and right on cue Aly get's sick. She had a fever and a cough and was really clingy, just wanting to be held constantly (I loved that last part). She and I shared a largely sleepless night Wed. night and by Thursday morning she was a mess. Her left eye was all pink and, her fever was higher, she wouldn't eat and she was so listless I was getting worried. After lunch I was giving her a cool bath and she started to cry. It went on the whole time I was getting her dried, lotioned and dressed and she was repeating over and over "oww, oww, oww" as she cried. That freaked me out. I got her 'blaintee' (blankie) and pacifier and rocked her in the rocking chair and in a matter of seconds she was asleep. Not normal.
After her nap we all headed to the doctor and I am expecting the dr. to say she has a double ear infection or RSV or something but the dr. checks her out and looks at me with this, 'I am so sorry' look and then says, "I hate to tell you this but I think she has the flu, as in influenza." Oh crap. My good friends family dealt with this earlier in the season and it had made enough of an impression on me to vow I would always make the effort to get all of us the vaccine cuz it was awful. The doctor also told me that Aly probably had a really bad headache and body aches and was generally miserable. She said to switch between Motrin and Tylenol and so I take all three kids to the store to get some Motrin (Side note: In the store Kennedy hit her elbow and came whimpering to me and told me she had just hit her "fuzzy bone"- so cute!). For some reason I always thought it was just a more expensive Tylenol and never got it. Realizing it is Ibuprofen (duh) I gave Aly some as soon as we got home and I could certainly tell when it kicked in. Motrin? I'm a believer!
This morning she seems markedly improved, actually walking around and playing a bit. She should be better just in time for Nathan to be home :)



7 comments:
Sadly, in KC they are reporting the flu vaccine is only working for 60% of the population. The influenza virus mutates each year and the CDC tries to predict its change when they make the vaccine - not always a 100% guess. The nurses at my hospital are getting a free 10-day course of Tamiflu which is supposed to prevent them from getting it from their patients in those 10 days. I hope the rest of your fam escapes with no illness!
Rachel
Oh my gosh! I hope you all don't get it! Poor Aly~
I am a huge believer in Motrin..and it lasts likle 7 hours....
When does Nathan get back? Do you want your kids to come over and play so you can concentrate on Aly? I can even come pick them up if you need....or if you need me to get you stuff from the store...I go 3 times a day so seriously just call if you need anything there.
aww poor aly hota! i hope all you guys dont get sick :(
Glad motrin worked...Ashton is allergic to Ibuprofin, so no Advil/motrin for him. Tommy's allergic also. Straight up Tylenol for them.
I am a believer in the combination, except I give both at the same time... (Dr. Carter recommended this I am not a druggie:) and I use it for me and Sean too! I half our doese and give both at the same time... IT almost makes you feel like you were never sick. (Although unfortunately we are and hate staying cooped up...) Good luck, it is the WORST when the little ones get sick!
Poor Aly :(
Jetta! Hi!
Post a Comment