Saturday, March 10, 2007

Aly J.






Love this girl! She is such a sweetheart. I love the beanie in the top pictures with the pea pod on top- it was Kennedy's and it was fun to get it out and put it on Alyssa. The last picture is exactly what Aly was wearing the other night when Nathan and I were out with her and nobody new that she was a girl, in spite of the pink threaded throughout the overalls and on her shirt, not to mention a white and pink blanket over her...I knew because when people would ask about her or tell me she was sweet they would use gender neutral terms that though they thought they were being inconspicuous, these certain phrases are red flags for when people are fishing for gender confirmation. Here, I will give you an example, instead of saying she/he is cute they will say "oh, what a sweety!" and then to ask how old he/she is they will say simply, "How old?" And the most obvious is when they ask, "What is the name?" ...'the' name? Come on people! You might as well just come out and ask if it is a boy or girl. This same night the hostess who seated us went on and on about our baby boy and made all of these male gender specific comments about 'him'. I usually don't care but I thought two things: Probably my fault for not helping out the general public by putting a bow on Aly's head (though that still doesn't seem to help a sorry few) and also, is that outfit really that ambiguous? Does Aly really not look like a girl? No one is going to tell me if she doesn't I suppose but still...With the bow on, if you can't figure it out I suppose you got bigger problems then not being able to tell the difference between a baby boy or girl!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When Trevi was a baby, I had a pink outfit on her AND a pink bow in her hair and I was stopped by an older gentleman (probably my age now) to tell me what a handsome boy I had! I remember how incensed I was. I understand how you feel.

Anonymous said...

Well newb, your pics are not working which is teh suxxors. Im not gonna lie, she does kinda look like a boy, but I mean I would of just asked even if I felt dumb...

Anonymous said...

Uh,who is this J-Dub? Would that be my brother?:)

Sheila said...

You have pink, butterflys or flowers. How could you have gone wrong?

lllllll