Thursday, March 29, 2007

Houston; We Have A Problem


Can you believe this is how I find Alyssa sleeping about half of the time? Every time I lay her down she promptly pulls her favorite pink and white blanket right up over her face and goes to sleep. It is a most distressing habit- no mother likes to check on her baby and find her completely still with a blanket covering her entire face. Many a night I have snuck in after she is asleep to try and surgically remove or at least reposition the blanket. The less successful missions end with me dropping to the floor when her eyes pop open. Houston; we have a problem. Sometimes she will just close her eyes and go back to sleep. But if she starts crying I usually wave a hand slowly in front of her as I try the Jedi Mind trick: "I was never here...you are still sleeping...your blanket is still over your face...". In our worst case scenario she won't settle back down and she ends up scoring a comfort feeding. But these are the risks we mothers must take when our children's self-soothing methods include smothering oneself.

3 comments:

shellydinger said...

totally random comment: I absolutely LOVE the sheets and bumper pad on her crib.

Sheila said...

The bedding kinda looks like someone's blog! Polka Dots. One of the kids enjoyed sleeping this way as well (not that I can remember who) but it was with a blanket that was so warm and would make them sweat so we played the same game! I have even rolled under the crib before they could stand up looking for what they "think" they just saw! The lengths we will go...

Anonymous said...

It must be a "lyssa" thing. Mine does it too. She has her favorite blanket and always pulls it up over her face. That is the way she sleeps. Wierd Hu? Tara

lllllll