Sticks and stones may break my bones, and so will falling down the stairs. Kohen learned that this Saturday when he took a tumble down a set of stairs (one of many in our townhouse) in his rush to go down and greet his dad. I knew he had actually gotten hurt by the sound of his cry and the fact that there were genuine tears. But soon he was playing again though I did notice he wasn't putting any weight on his right hand. I was sure something was amiss when he kept bringing up that his arm was "ow-ee" and that it needed a band-aid. We took the wait and see approach and Sunday morning his wrist was mildly swollen, he was still nursing it and if we put any pressure on it it still hurt. So this morning I took all three children to an urgent care facility (those words 'took 3 kids to urgent care facility' can lead to nothing good!) with x-ray capabilities and then we were sent immediately across the street to an orthopedic surgeon. The whole ordeal took well over 4 hours and ended up running past lunch and nap time and could be a whole different post in itself. Anyway, Kohen was a great little patient and truly just observing him you probably would never have known he wasn't functioning at full capacity. The break is not bad and should heal fine. They did put the cast clear up to his shoulder, however, to keep him from pulling it off- and I just hope that up to his shoulder is far enough! As soon as the cast was dry and the nurse let go of his arm Kohen took a good look at it, and promptly whacked the wall behind him giving a little 'yah!' for good measure. The nurse and I met eyes and I breathed out "oh no." Yes, it has taken all afternoon to try and get it into Kohen's head that he can't hit things -ANYTHING- with his cast. He is disappointed. He can't figure out why they put it on him then. I mean, what do we expect when you encase a 2 year olds arm in fiberglass? It sure gives a whole new meaning to 'armed and dangerous'!
Tuesday, March 13, 2007
Sticks and Stones...
Sticks and stones may break my bones, and so will falling down the stairs. Kohen learned that this Saturday when he took a tumble down a set of stairs (one of many in our townhouse) in his rush to go down and greet his dad. I knew he had actually gotten hurt by the sound of his cry and the fact that there were genuine tears. But soon he was playing again though I did notice he wasn't putting any weight on his right hand. I was sure something was amiss when he kept bringing up that his arm was "ow-ee" and that it needed a band-aid. We took the wait and see approach and Sunday morning his wrist was mildly swollen, he was still nursing it and if we put any pressure on it it still hurt. So this morning I took all three children to an urgent care facility (those words 'took 3 kids to urgent care facility' can lead to nothing good!) with x-ray capabilities and then we were sent immediately across the street to an orthopedic surgeon. The whole ordeal took well over 4 hours and ended up running past lunch and nap time and could be a whole different post in itself. Anyway, Kohen was a great little patient and truly just observing him you probably would never have known he wasn't functioning at full capacity. The break is not bad and should heal fine. They did put the cast clear up to his shoulder, however, to keep him from pulling it off- and I just hope that up to his shoulder is far enough! As soon as the cast was dry and the nurse let go of his arm Kohen took a good look at it, and promptly whacked the wall behind him giving a little 'yah!' for good measure. The nurse and I met eyes and I breathed out "oh no." Yes, it has taken all afternoon to try and get it into Kohen's head that he can't hit things -ANYTHING- with his cast. He is disappointed. He can't figure out why they put it on him then. I mean, what do we expect when you encase a 2 year olds arm in fiberglass? It sure gives a whole new meaning to 'armed and dangerous'!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 comments:
Too too funny! Broken bones - it was bound to happen sometime right? What a tough little boy you have.
Kohen, I'm so sorry! Just be glad they didn't wrap it around your whole body to keep you out of mischief! My boys will love the color of cast you picked out!
So sorry Kohen, but you really wouldn't want him anything but all boy now would you mom? Less broken bones in the future hopefully. His grandpa John was none the less, all boy.
Oh my gosh, Erin! I can't believe it's broken! He does look so dang adorable with a cast, though - I must say. And blue is the perfect color! Thanks again for such an awesome trip! I loved seeing you and your beautiful family. Love you ~ Kristy & Mark
Erin,
oh no! Just saw the picts of kohen. Poor little guy, or should I say poor little mother. What a long day, I can't even imagine. We are thinking of you. Tara
Erin
Make sure you keep that cast when it comes off. That is a fun little item to take to show and tell. Collin just did that at preschool a few weeks ago. They aren't the most sanitary items after being worn and not washed. Love you and the kids!
What a tough boy you have! We hope Kohen's arm heals quickly for his sake and yours!
Post a Comment