Monday, March 19, 2007

The Best Gift Ever


I am fully aware that this may be a gift that only a mother would love, but there is more to this gift than meets the eye. Kennedy does things in her own time, always has. So when many children her age started drawing their first versions of people (a circle with sticks coming out of it) I wondered when she would decide she wanted to give it a try. Occasionally when we were coloring I would ask her if she wanted to draw a person, like mom or dad, and she would refuse even if I offered to help. So I have left it alone. I have never seen her try to draw even a hint of a person. She has always stuck to coloring in coloring books...until yesterday. I was shocked when Kennedy handed me the pictures she had colored while she had a babysitter the night before. For the first time ever Kennedy had drawn a person!! The drawings are so good for literally her first try ever- I questioned whether or not the babysitter had helped her- but she had not. I mean, they have hands, hair, pupils, and even eyebrows (gotta look real close for those, in the top picture they are both over the right eye)! So, they will be forever precious to me because when Kennedy finally decided to draw people, she did it for me on my birthday and she did an awesome job. Ten years ago I don't think I would have believed you if you would have told me that a 4 yr old's scribblings that look like a hairy bean would be such a precious gift...my how times have changed!

2 comments:

kristy said...

Oh my gosh, I have the biggest smile on my face thinking about little Kenna drawing such a beautiful "bean-person" for your birthday... oh, it made my day! I love your blog, it always makes me so happy. Love you all, glad your birthday was so great! You deserve it.

Anonymous said...

Erin,
what a great b-day gift, only a mom would say that. I missed your b-day. I am so sorry, for some reason did not have it on my calendar. I hope that the day was a good one for you. love you tara

lllllll